how to set up environment to develop Spark on macbook pro retina?

q q

how to set up environment to develop Spark on macbook pro retina?

q q
Hello,
I have a macbook pro retina, wondering how people with similar model set up development environment:
1. if I choose to install a linux VM and set up development env inside the VM, the display is terrible (font is very blurred).
2. If I choose to set up develop environment on Mac OS directly, looks it's not exactly same with linux, for example, some project won't be built successfully if it's not tweaked.
Have the same question to develop Shark too.
So what's your experience?
Thanks!

Re: how to set up environment to develop Spark on macbook pro retina?

Mark Hamstra
I don't understand: What are you finding different in developing on OSX vs.
Linux that requires tweaking?

q q

RE: how to set up environment to develop Spark on macbook pro retina?

q q
one example of tweaking is when building the project, there're some difference of gcc between OSX (Darwin) and Linux(Ubuntu), so we need check the OS and give different parameters to gcc.
also do you mean Spark and Shark can fully(function wise) run on OSX like Linux?
Thanks.

> Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 11:19:49 -0800
> Subject: Re: how to set up environment to develop Spark on macbook pro retina?
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> I don't understand: What are you finding different in developing on OSX vs.
> Linux that requires tweaking?
>

> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM, q q <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I have a macbook pro retina, wondering how people with similar model set
> > up development environment:
> > 1. if I choose to install a linux VM and set up development env inside the
> > VM, the display is terrible (font is very blurred).
> > 2. If I choose to set up develop environment on Mac OS directly, looks
> > it's not exactly same with linux, for example, some project won't be built
> > successfully if it's not tweaked.
> > Have the same question to develop Shark too.
> > So what's your experience?
> > Thanks!

Re: how to set up environment to develop Spark on macbook pro retina?

Nan Zhu
why you need gcc to compile spark?

--
Nan Zhu

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 6:18 PM, q q wrote:

> one example of tweaking is when building the project, there're some difference of gcc between OSX (Darwin) and Linux(Ubuntu), so we need check the OS and give different parameters to gcc.
> also do you mean Spark and Shark can fully(function wise) run on OSX like Linux?
> Thanks.
> > Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 11:19:49 -0800
> > Subject: Re: how to set up environment to develop Spark on macbook pro retina?
> > From: [hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])
> > To: [hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])
> >
> > I don't understand: What are you finding different in developing on OSX vs.
> > Linux that requires tweaking?
> >

> > On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM, q q <[hidden email] (mailto:[hidden email])> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > > I have a macbook pro retina, wondering how people with similar model set
> > > up development environment:
> > > 1. if I choose to install a linux VM and set up development env inside the
> > > VM, the display is terrible (font is very blurred).
> > > 2. If I choose to set up develop environment on Mac OS directly, looks
> > > it's not exactly same with linux, for example, some project won't be built
> > > successfully if it's not tweaked.
> > > Have the same question to develop Shark too.
> > > So what's your experience?
> > > Thanks!

Re: how to set up environment to develop Spark on macbook pro retina?

Mark Hamstra
You don't need gcc to build Spark, and there is very little difference
between developing and running Spark and Shark on OSX vs. Linux.  In fact,
I dare say that most of the Spark committers develop primarily on MBPs and
run it at different times on their local OSX machine and on physical or
virtual Linux machines.

q q

RE: how to set up environment to develop Spark on macbook pro retina?

q q
Thanks, yes, I made a mistake, building spark doesn't need gcc.
Another related question is when developing code in either Eclipse or IntelliJ, is there a good way to build it directly in IDE or general practice is use IDE to view and edit code, then use command line (sbt) to build and package, then use log to debug?

> Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 15:47:15 -0800
> Subject: Re: how to set up environment to develop Spark on macbook pro retina?
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
>
> You don't need gcc to build Spark, and there is very little difference
> between developing and running Spark and Shark on OSX vs. Linux.  In fact,
> I dare say that most of the Spark committers develop primarily on MBPs and
> run it at different times on their local OSX machine and on physical or
> virtual Linux machines.
>

> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM, q q <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > one example of tweaking is when building the project, there're some
> > difference of gcc between OSX (Darwin) and Linux(Ubuntu), so we need check
> > the OS and give different parameters to gcc.
> > also do you mean Spark and Shark can fully(function wise) run on OSX like
> > Linux?
> > Thanks.
> > > Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 11:19:49 -0800
> > > Subject: Re: how to set up environment to develop Spark on macbook pro
> > retina?
> > > From: [hidden email]
> > > To: [hidden email]
> > >
> > > I don't understand: What are you finding different in developing on OSX
> > vs.
> > > Linux that requires tweaking?

> > set
> > the
> > built

Re: how to set up environment to develop Spark on macbook pro retina?

Mark Hamstra
Some do work with Spark as much as possible within IntelliJ or Eclipse (or
Sublime), but I'm not one of them.  I work closer to your second option,
with some Emacs and deployment tooling also thrown into the mix.  In short,
you need to find someone else to answer questions about how to most fully
use an IDE to develop Spark and/or Spark applications.