[VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

Marcelo Vanzin
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.3.1.

The vote is open until Friday, May 18, at 21:00 UTC and passes if
a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.3.1-rc1 (commit cc93bc95):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.3.0-rc1

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.1-rc1-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1269/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.1-rc1-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 2.3.1 can be found at the following URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12342432

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.3.1?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.1 can be found at:
https://s.apache.org/Q3Uo

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

Marcelo Vanzin
I'll start with my +1 (binding). I've ran unit tests and a bunch of
integration tests on the hadoop-2.7 package.

Please note that there are still a few flaky tests. Please check jira
before you decide to send a -1 because of a flaky test.

Also, apologies for the delay in getting the RC ready. Still learning
the ropes. Also, if you plan on doing this in the future, *do not* do
"svn co" on the dist.apache.org repo. The ASF Infra folks will not be
very kind to you. I'll update our RM docs later.

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

Xiao Li
-1

We have a correctness bug fix that was merged after 2.3 RC1. It would be nice to have that in Spark 2.3.1 release.

Xiao

[...]

It's in. That link is only a list of the currently open bugs.

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 2:02 PM, Justin Miller
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did SPARK-24067 not make it in? I don’t see it in https://s.apache.org/Q3Uo.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> On May 15, 2018, at 3:00 PM, Marcelo Vanzin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version
> 2.3.1.
>
> The vote is open until Friday, May 18, at 21:00 UTC and passes if
> a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.3.1
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.3.1-rc1 (commit cc93bc95):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.3.0-rc1

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.1-rc1-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1269/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.1-rc1-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.3.1 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12342432

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.3.1?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.1 can be found at:
> https://s.apache.org/Q3Uo
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.
>

> --
> Marcelo

Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

Marcelo Vanzin
Bummer. People should still feel welcome to test the existing RC so we
can rule out other issues.

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 2:04 PM, Xiao Li <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -1
>
> We have a correctness bug fix that was merged after 2.3 RC1. It would be
> nice to have that in Spark 2.3.1 release.

> Xiao

>> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version
>> 2.3.1.
>>
>> The vote is open until Friday, May 18, at 21:00 UTC and passes if
>> a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.3.1
>>
>> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>>
>> The tag to be voted on is v2.3.1-rc1 (commit cc93bc95):
>> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.3.0-rc1
>>
>> The release files, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.1-rc1-bin/
>>
>> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS
>>
>> The staging repository for this release can be found at:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1269/
>>
>> The documentation corresponding to this release can be found at:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.1-rc1-docs/
>>
>> The list of bug fixes going into 2.3.1 can be found at the following URL:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12342432

>> =========================
>> How can I help test this release?
>> =========================
>>
>> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
>> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
>> reporting any regressions.
>>
>> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
>> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
>> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
>> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
>> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

>> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.3.1?
>>
>> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.1 can be found at:
>> https://s.apache.org/Q3Uo
>>
>> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> appropriate release.
>>
>> ==================
>> But my bug isn't fixed?
>> ==================
>>
>> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
>> help target the issue.
>>

>> --
>> Marcelo

Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

kant kodali

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 2:07 PM, Marcelo Vanzin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

>> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.3.1?
>>
>> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.1 can be found at:
>> https://s.apache.org/Q3Uo
>>
>> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> appropriate release.
>>
>> ==================
>> But my bug isn't fixed?
>> ==================
>>
>> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

Marco Gaido
I'd be against having a new feature in a minor maintenance release. I think such a release should contain only bugfixes.

> [...]

>> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

>> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.3.1?
>>
>> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.1 can be found at:
>> https://s.apache.org/Q3Uo
>>
>> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> appropriate release.
>>
>> ==================
>> But my bug isn't fixed?
>> ==================
>>
>> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

kant kodali
I am not sure how SPARK-23406 is a new feature. since streaming joins are already part of SPARK 2.3.0. The self joins didn't work because of a bug and it is fixed but I can understand if it touches some other code paths.

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 3:22 AM, Marco Gaido <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

>> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.3.1?
>>
>> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.1 can be found at:
>> https://s.apache.org/Q3Uo
>>
>> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> appropriate release.
>>
>> ==================
>> But my bug isn't fixed?
>> ==================
>>
>> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

Marcelo Vanzin
This is actually in 2.3, jira is just missing the version.

https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/20765

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 2:14 PM, kant kodali <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not sure how SPARK-23406 is a new feature. since streaming joins are
> already part of SPARK 2.3.0. The self joins didn't work because of a bug and
> it is fixed but I can understand if it touches some other code paths.
>
> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 3:22 AM, Marco Gaido <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'd be against having a new feature in a minor maintenance release. I
>> think such a release should contain only bugfixes.

>>> Can this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-23406 be part of
>>> 2.3.1?

Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

Saisai Shao
+1, checked new py4j related changes.

Marcelo Vanzin <[hidden email]> 于2018年5月17日周四 上午5:41写道:
This is actually in 2.3, jira is just missing the version.

https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/20765

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 2:14 PM, kant kodali <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am not sure how SPARK-23406 is a new feature. since streaming joins are
> already part of SPARK 2.3.0. The self joins didn't work because of a bug and
> it is fixed but I can understand if it touches some other code paths.
>
> On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 3:22 AM, Marco Gaido <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'd be against having a new feature in a minor maintenance release. I
>> think such a release should contain only bugfixes.

>>> Can this https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-23406 be part of
>>> 2.3.1?

Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

Artem Rudoy
Can we include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-22371 as well
please?

Artem

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

Marcelo Vanzin
Wenchen reviewed and pushed that change, so he's the most qualified to
make that decision.

I plan to cut a new RC tomorrow so hopefully he'll see this by then.

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:13 AM, Artem Rudoy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can we include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-22371 as well
> please?
>
> Artem
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/

Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

Imran Rashid-3
I just found https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-24309 which is pretty serious.  I've marked it a blocker, I think it should go into 2.3.1.  I'll also take a closer look comparing to the behavior of the old listener bus.

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 12:18 PM, Marcelo Vanzin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wenchen reviewed and pushed that change, so he's the most qualified to
make that decision.

I plan to cut a new RC tomorrow so hopefully he'll see this by then.

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:13 AM, Artem Rudoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can we include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-22371 as well
> please?
>
> Artem
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/

Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

cloud0fan
SPARK-22371 turns an error to a warning, so it won't break any existing workloads. Let me backport it to 2.3 so users won't hit this problem in the new release.

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 5:59 AM, Imran Rashid <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just found https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-24309 which is pretty serious.  I've marked it a blocker, I think it should go into 2.3.1.  I'll also take a closer look comparing to the behavior of the old listener bus.

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 12:18 PM, Marcelo Vanzin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wenchen reviewed and pushed that change, so he's the most qualified to
make that decision.

I plan to cut a new RC tomorrow so hopefully he'll see this by then.

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:13 AM, Artem Rudoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can we include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-22371 as well
> please?
>
> Artem
>

> --
> Sent from: http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/

Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

Marcelo Vanzin
Just to give folks an update.

In case you haven't followed the thread, this vote failed.

I'll cut a new RC once the current blocker is addressed.

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 2:59 PM, Imran Rashid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just found https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-24309 which is
> pretty serious.  I've marked it a blocker, I think it should go into 2.3.1.
> I'll also take a closer look comparing to the behavior of the old listener
> bus.
>
> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 12:18 PM, Marcelo Vanzin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Wenchen reviewed and pushed that change, so he's the most qualified to
>> make that decision.
>>
>> I plan to cut a new RC tomorrow so hopefully he'll see this by then.
>>
>> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:13 AM, Artem Rudoy <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Can we include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-22371 as well
>> > please?
>> >
>> > Artem
>> >

>> > --
>> > Sent from: http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/

>> --
>> Marcelo

Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Spark 2.3.1 (RC1)

Marcelo Vanzin
FYI the fix for the blocker has just been committed. I'll prepare RC2
tomorrow morning assuming jenkins is reasonably happy with the current
state of the branch.

--
Marcelo