[VOTE] SPIP ML Pipelines in R

Hossein
Hi,

I started discussion thread for a new R package to expose MLlib pipelines in R

To summarize we will work on utilities to generate R wrappers for MLlib pipeline API for a new R package. This will lower the burden for exposing new API in future.

Following the SPIP process, I am proposing the SPIP for a vote.

+1: Let's go ahead and implement the SPIP.
+0: Don't really care.
-1: I do not think this is a good idea for the following reasons.

Thanks,
--Hossein

Re: [VOTE] SPIP ML Pipelines in R

Felix Cheung
+1
With my concerns in the SPIP discussion.

Thanks,
--Hossein

Re: [VOTE] SPIP ML Pipelines in R

Shivaram Venkataraman
Hossein -- Can you clarify what the resolution on the repository /
release issue discussed on SPIP ?

Shivaram

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 9:06 AM, Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
> With my concerns in the SPIP discussion.
>
> ________________________________

Joseph Bradley
Hossein might be slow to respond (OOO), but I just commented on the JIRA.  I'd recommend we follow the same process as the SparkR package.

+1 on this from me (and I'll be happy to help shepherd it, though Felix and Shivaram are the experts in this area).  CRAN presents challenges, but this is a good step towards making R a first-class citizen for ML use cases of Spark.

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 9:10 AM, Shivaram Venkataraman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hossein -- Can you clarify what the resolution on the repository /
release issue discussed on SPIP ?

Shivaram

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 9:06 AM, Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
> With my concerns in the SPIP discussion.
>
> ________________________________

Joseph Bradley

Software Engineer - Machine Learning

Databricks, Inc.

http://databricks.com

Re: [VOTE] SPIP ML Pipelines in R

Xiangrui Meng-2
+1.

--

Xiangrui Meng

Software Engineer

Databricks Inc. http://databricks.com

Re: [VOTE] SPIP ML Pipelines in R

Hossein
Hi Shivaram,

We converged on a CRAN release process that seems identical to current SparkR.

--Hossein

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 9:10 AM, Shivaram Venkataraman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hossein -- Can you clarify what the resolution on the repository /
release issue discussed on SPIP ?

Shivaram

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 9:06 AM, Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
> With my concerns in the SPIP discussion.
>
> ________________________________

rxin
+1 on the proposal.

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 8:17 PM Hossein <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Shivaram,

We converged on a CRAN release process that seems identical to current SparkR.

--Hossein

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 9:10 AM, Shivaram Venkataraman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hossein -- Can you clarify what the resolution on the repository /
release issue discussed on SPIP ?

Shivaram

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 9:06 AM, Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> +1
> With my concerns in the SPIP discussion.

The vote passed with following +1.

- Felix
- Joseph
- Xiangrui
- Reynold

Joseph has kindly volunteered to shepherd this.

Thanks,
--Hossein