[VOTE] SPARK 3.0.0-preview2 (RC2)

Yuming Wang
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 3.0.0-preview2.

The vote is open until December 20 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 3.0.0-preview2

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v3.0.0-preview2-rc2 (commit bcadd5c3096109878fe26fb0d57a9b7d6fdaa257):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v3.0.0-preview2-rc2

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.0.0-preview2-rc2-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1338/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.0.0-preview2-rc2-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 3.0.0 can be found at the following URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12339177

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with an out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 3.0.0?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 3.0.0 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 3.0.0

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 3.0.0-preview2 (RC2)

Sean Owen-3
Same result as last time. It all looks good and tests pass for me on
Ubuntu with all profiles enables (Hadoop 3.2 + Hive 2.3), building
from source.
'pyspark-3.0.0.dev2.tar.gz' appears to be the desired python artifact name, yes.
+1

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 12:36 AM Yuming Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 3.0.0-preview2.
>
> The vote is open until December 20 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
> a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 3.0.0-preview2
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v3.0.0-preview2-rc2 (commit bcadd5c3096109878fe26fb0d57a9b7d6fdaa257):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v3.0.0-preview2-rc2

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.0.0-preview2-rc2-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1338/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.0.0-preview2-rc2-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 3.0.0 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12339177

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with an out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 3.0.0?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 3.0.0 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 3.0.0
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 3.0.0-preview2 (RC2)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
+1

I also check the signatures and docs. And, built and tested with JDK 11.0.5, Hadoop 3.2, Hive 2.3.
In addition, the newly added `spark-3.0.0-preview2-bin-hadoop2.7-hive1.2.tgz` distribution looks correct.

Thank you Yuming and all.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 4:11 PM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Same result as last time. It all looks good and tests pass for me on
Ubuntu with all profiles enables (Hadoop 3.2 + Hive 2.3), building
from source.
'pyspark-3.0.0.dev2.tar.gz' appears to be the desired python artifact name, yes.
+1

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 12:36 AM Yuming Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 3.0.0-preview2.
>
> The vote is open until December 20 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
> a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 3.0.0-preview2
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v3.0.0-preview2-rc2 (commit bcadd5c3096109878fe26fb0d57a9b7d6fdaa257):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v3.0.0-preview2-rc2

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.0.0-preview2-rc2-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1338/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.0.0-preview2-rc2-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 3.0.0 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12339177

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with an out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 3.0.0?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 3.0.0 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 3.0.0
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 3.0.0-preview2 (RC2)

Takeshi Yamamuro
Thanks, Yuming!

I checked the links and the prepared binaries.
Also, I run tests with  -Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Phive -Phive-thriftserver -Pmesos -Pkubernetes -Psparkr
on java version "1.8.0_181.
All the things above look fine.

Bests,
Takeshi

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 6:31 AM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> you don't end up building with an out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 3.0.0?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 3.0.0 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 3.0.0
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 3.0.0-preview2 (RC2)

cloud0fan
+1, all tests pass

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 3.0.0-preview2 (RC2)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Hi, Yuming.

Could you summarize the vote result?

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 19:28 Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> you don't end up building with an out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 3.0.0?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 3.0.0 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 3.0.0
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately.

> But my bug isn't fixed?
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

---
Takeshi Yamamuro