[VOTE] [SPARK-25994] SPIP: DataFrame-based Property Graphs, Cypher Queries, and Algorithms

[VOTE] [SPARK-25994] SPIP: DataFrame-based Property Graphs, Cypher Queries, and Algorithms

Xiangrui Meng
Hi all,

I want to call for a vote of SPARK-25994. It introduces a new DataFrame-based component to Spark, which supports property graph construction, Cypher queries, and graph algorithms. The proposal was made available on user@ and dev@ to collect input. You can also find a sketch design doc attached to SPARK-26028.

The vote will be up for the next 72 hours. Please reply with your vote:

+1: Yeah, let's go forward and implement the SPIP.
+0: Don't really care.
-1: I don't think this is a good idea because of the following technical reasons.

Best,
Xiangrui

Best,
Xiangrui

Re: [VOTE] [SPARK-25994] SPIP: DataFrame-based Property Graphs, Cypher Queries, and Algorithms

Jules Damji-2
+1 (non-binding)
(Heard their proposed tech-talk at Spark + A.I summit in London. Well attended & well received.)

Sent from my iPhone
Pardon the dumb thumb typos :)

On Jan 29, 2019, at 7:30 AM, Denny Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1

yay - let's do it!

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 6:28 AM Xiangrui Meng <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I want to call for a vote of SPARK-25994. It introduces a new DataFrame-based component to Spark, which supports property graph construction, Cypher queries, and graph algorithms. The proposal was made available on user@ and dev@ to collect input. You can also find a sketch design doc attached to SPARK-26028.

The vote will be up for the next 72 hours. Please reply with your vote:

+1: Yeah, let's go forward and implement the SPIP.
+0: Don't really care.
-1: I don't think this is a good idea because of the following technical reasons.

Best,
Xiangrui

Re: [VOTE] [SPARK-25994] SPIP: DataFrame-based Property Graphs, Cypher Queries, and Algorithms

Xiao Li
+1

Jules Damji <[hidden email]> 于2019年1月29日周二 上午8:14写道:
[...]

Best,
Xiangrui

Re: [VOTE] [SPARK-25994] SPIP: DataFrame-based Property Graphs, Cypher Queries, and Algorithms

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Hi, Xiangrui Meng.

+1 for the proposal.

However, please update the following section for this vote. As we see, it seems to be inaccurate because today is Jan. 29th. (Almost February).
(Since I cannot comment on the SPIP, I replied here.)

Q7. How long will it take?

  • If accepted by the community by the end of December 2018, we predict to be feature complete by mid-end March, allowing for QA during April 2019, making the SPIP part of the next major Spark release (3.0, ETA May, 2019).

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 8:52 AM Xiao Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Best,
Xiangrui

Re: [VOTE] [SPARK-25994] SPIP: DataFrame-based Property Graphs, Cypher Queries, and Algorithms

Martin Junghanns

Hi Dongjoon,

Thanks for the hint! I updated the SPIP accordingly.

I also changed the access permissions for the SPIP and design sketch docs so that anyone can comment.

Best,

Martin

Best,
Xiangrui

Re: [VOTE] [SPARK-25994] SPIP: DataFrame-based Property Graphs, Cypher Queries, and Algorithms

Xiangrui Meng
Correction: +0 vote doesn't mean "Don't really care". Thanks Ryan for the offline reminder! Below is the Apache official interpretation of fraction values:

The in-between values are indicative of how strongly the voting individual feels. Here are some examples of fractional votes and ways in which they might be intended and interpreted:
+0: 'I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with this.'
-0: 'I won't get in the way, but I'd rather we didn't do this.'
-0.5: 'I don't like this idea, but I can't find any rational justification for my feelings.'
++1: 'Wow! I like this! Let's do it!'
-0.9: 'I really don't like this, but I'm not going to stand in the way if everyone else wants to go ahead with it.'
+0.9: 'This is a cool idea and i like it, but I don't have time/the skills necessary to help out.'

Best,
Xiangrui

Re: [VOTE] [SPARK-25994] SPIP: DataFrame-based Property Graphs, Cypher Queries, and Algorithms

Xiao Li
Change my vote from +1 to ++1

Xiangrui Meng <[hidden email]> 于2019年1月30日周三 上午6:20写道:
[...]

Best,
Xiangrui

Best,
Xiangrui

Best,
Xiangrui

Best,
Xiangrui

Re: [VOTE] [SPARK-25994] SPIP: DataFrame-based Property Graphs, Cypher Queries, and Algorithms

Joseph Bradley
+1  This will be a great long-term investment for Spark.

--

Joseph Bradley

Software Engineer - Machine Learning

Databricks, Inc.

http://databricks.com

Re: [VOTE] [SPARK-25994] SPIP: DataFrame-based Property Graphs, Cypher Queries, and Algorithms

Xiangrui Meng
+1 from myself.

The vote passed with the following +1s and no -1s:

* Denny Lee
* Jules Damji
* Xiao Li*
* Dongjoon Hyun
* Mingjie Tang
* Yanbo Liang*
* Marco Gaido
* Joseph Bradley*
* Xiangrui Meng*

I will send a result email soon. Please watch SPARK-25994 for future discussions. Thanks!

Best,
Xiangrui