[VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

12

[VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

cloud0fan
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.0.

The vote is open until September 20 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.4.0-rc1 (commit 1220ab8a0738b5f67dc522df5e3e77ffc83d207a):

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:

The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.0 can be found at the following URL:

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.0?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.0 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.0

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Sean Owen-3
A few preliminary notes:

Wenchen for some weird reason when I hit your key in gpg --import, it
asks for a passphrase. When I skip it, it's fine, gpg can still verify
the signature. No issue there really.

The staging repo gives a 404:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1285/
404 - Repository "orgapachespark-1285 (staging: open)"
[id=orgapachespark-1285] exists but is not exposed.

The (revamped) licenses are OK, though there are some minor glitches
in the final release tarballs (my fault) : there's an extra directory,
and the source release has both binary and source licenses. I'll fix
that. Not strictly necessary to reject the release over those.

Last, when I check the staging repo I'll get my answer, but, were you
able to build 2.12 artifacts as well?

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 9:48 PM Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.0.
>
> The vote is open until September 20 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
> a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.0
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.0-rc1 (commit 1220ab8a0738b5f67dc522df5e3e77ffc83d207a):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.0-rc1

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.0-rc1-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1285/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.0-rc1-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.0 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/2.4.0

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.0?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.0 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.0
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

cloud0fan
Ah I missed the Scala 2.12 build. Do you mean we should publish a Scala 2.12 build this time? Current for Scala 2.11 we have 3 builds: with hadoop 2.7, with hadoop 2.6, without hadoop. Shall we do the same thing for Scala 2.12?

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:14 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.0?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.0 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.0
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Sean Owen-3
I think one build is enough, but haven't thought it through. The
Hadoop 2.6/2.7 builds are already nearly redundant. 2.12 is probably
best advertised as a 'beta'. So maybe publish a no-hadoop build of it?
Really, whatever's the easy thing to do.
On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 10:28 PM Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > ===========================================
>> >
>> > The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.0 can be found at:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.0
>> >
>> > Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> > fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> > be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> > appropriate release.
>> >
>> > ==================
>> > But my bug isn't fixed?
>> > ==================
>> >
>> > In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> > release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> > release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> > that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

cloud0fan
I confirmed that https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1285 is not accessible. I did it via ./dev/create-release/do-release-docker.sh -d /my/work/dir -s publish , not sure what's going wrong. I didn't see any error message during it.

Any insights are appreciated! So that I can fix it in the next RC. Thanks!

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 11:31 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
>> > ===========================================
>> >
>> > The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.0 can be found at:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.0
>> >
>> > Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> > fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> > be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> > appropriate release.
>> >
>> > ==================
>> > But my bug isn't fixed?
>> > ==================
>> >
>> > In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> > release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> > release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> > that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Stavros Kontopoulos-3
-1

I would like to see: https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/22392 in, as discussed here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-23200. It is important IMHO for streaming on K8s.
I just started testing it btw.

Also 2.12.7(https://contributors.scala-lang.org/t/2-12-7-release/2301https://github.com/scala/scala/milestone/73 is coming out (will be staged this week), do we want to build the beta 2.12 build against it?

Stavros

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 8:00 AM, Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > ===========================================
>> >
>> > The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.0 can be found at:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.0
>> >
>> > Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> > fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> > be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> > appropriate release.
>> >
>> > ==================
>> > But my bug isn't fixed?
>> > ==================
>> >
>> > In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> > release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> > release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> > that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Nicholas Chammas
I believe -1 votes are merited only for correctness bugs and regressions since the previous release.

Does SPARK-23200 count as either?

2018년 9월 17일 (월) 오전 9:40, Stavros Kontopoulos <[hidden email]>님이 작성:
> [...]

>> > ===========================================
>> >
>> > The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.0 can be found at:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.0
>> >
>> > Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> > fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> > be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> > appropriate release.
>> >
>> > ==================
>> > But my bug isn't fixed?
>> > ==================
>> >
>> > In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> > release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> > release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> > that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Stavros Kontopoulos-3
I just follow the comment Wehnchen Fan (of course it is not merged yet, but I wanted to bring this to the attention of the dev list)

"We should definitely merge it to branch 2.4, but I won't block the release since it's not that critical and it's still in progress. After it's merged, feel free to vote -1 on the RC voting email to include this change, if necessary."

So if the vote is not valid, we can ignore it. But this should have been in, before 2.4 was cut IMHO, anyway.

Stavros

--
Stavros Kontopoulos
Senior Software Engineer
Lightbend, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Marcelo Vanzin-2
You can log in to https://repository.apache.org and see what's wrong.
Just find that staging repo and look at the messages. In your case it
seems related to your signature.

failureMessageNo public key: Key with id: (xxxx) was not able to be
located on http://gpg-keyserver.de/. Upload your public key and try
the operation again.

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Erik Erlandson-2

I have no binding vote but I second Stavros’ recommendation for spark-23200

Per parallel threads on Py2 support I would also like to propose deprecating Py2 starting with this 2.4 release

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Xiao Li
Hi, Erik and Stavros,

This bug fix SPARK-23200 is not a blocker of the 2.4 release. It sounds important for the Streaming on K8S. Could the K8S oriented committers speed up the reviews?

Thanks,

Xiao

Erik Erlandson <[hidden email]> 于2018年9月17日周一 上午11:04写道:

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

liyinan926
We can merge the PR and get SPARK-23200 resolved if the whole point is to make streaming on k8s work first. But given that this is not a blocker for 2.4, I think we can take a bit more time here and get it right. With that being said, I would expect it to be resolved soon.

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Stavros Kontopoulos-3
Hi Xiao,

I just tested it, it seems ok. There are some questions about which properties we should keep when restoring the config. Otherwise it looks ok to me.
The reason this should go in 2.4 is that streaming on k8s is something people want to try day one (or at least it is cool to try) and since 2.4 comes with k8s support being refactored a lot,
it would be disappointing not to have it in...IMHO.

Best,
Stavros

--
Marcelo

Stavros Kontopoulos
Senior Software Engineer
Lightbend, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Saisai Shao
Hi Wenchen,

I think you need to set SPHINXPYTHON to python3 before building the docs, to workaround the doc issue (https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.0-rc1-docs/_site/api/python/pyspark.ml.html#pyspark.ml.classification.LogisticRegression).

Here is the notes for release page:

  • Ensure you have Python 3 having Sphinx installed, and SPHINXPYTHON environment variable is set to indicate your Python 3 executable (see SPARK-24530).

Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> 于2018年9月17日周一 上午10:48写道:
[...]

help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Deprecating Py 2 in the 2.4 release probably doesn't belong in the RC vote thread. Personally I think we might be a little too late in the game to deprecate it in 2.4, but I think calling it out as "soon to be deprecated" in the release docs would be sensible to give folks extra time to prepare.

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Marco Gaido
It is a regression unfortunately. Despite the impact is not huge and there are workarounds, I think we should include the fix in 2.4.0. I created SPARK-25454 and submitted a PR for it.
Sorry for the trouble.

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

cloud0fan
Thanks Marcelo to point out my gpg key issue! I've re-generated it and uploaded to ASF spark repo. Let's see if it works in the next RC.

Thanks Saisai to point out the Python doc issue, I'll fix it in the next RC.

This RC fails because:
1. it doesn't include a Scala 2.12 build
2. the gpg key issue
3. the Python doc issue
4. some other potential blocker issues.

I'll start RC2 once these blocker issues are either resolved or we decide to mark them as non-blocker.

Thanks,
Wenchen

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Felix Cheung
If we could work on this quickly - it might get on to future RCs.

--
Marcelo

Stavros Kontopoulos
Senior Software Engineer
Lightbend, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

liyinan926
FYI: SPARK-23200 has been resolved.

--
Marcelo

Stavros Kontopoulos
Senior Software Engineer
Lightbend, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.4.0 (RC1)

Weichen Xu
We need to merge this.
Otherwise mleap cannot build against spark 2.4.0
Thanks!

--
Marcelo

Stavros Kontopoulos