[VOTE] SPARK 2.3.2 (RC5)

Saisai Shao
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.3.2.

The vote is open until August 20 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.3.2-rc5 (commit 4dc82259d81102e0cb48f4cb2e8075f80d899ac4):

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:

The list of bug fixes going into 2.3.2 can be found at the following URL:

Note. RC4 was cancelled because of one blocking issue SPARK-25084 during release preparation.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.3.2?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.2 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.3.2

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.3.2 (RC5)

Marco Gaido
-1, due to SPARK-25051. It is a regression and it is a correctness bug. In 2.3.0/2.3.1 an Analysis exception was thrown, 2.2.* works fine.
I cannot reproduce the issue on current master, but I was able using the prepared 2.3.2 release.

Il giorno mar 14 ago 2018 alle ore 10:04 Saisai Shao <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.3.2 (RC5)

antonkulaga
-1 as https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-16406 does not seem to be
back-ported to 2.3.1 and it causes a lot of pain

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.3.2 (RC5)

Sean Owen-3
(We wouldn't consider lack of an improvement to block a maintenance release. It's reasonable to raise this elsewhere as a big nice to have on 2.3.x in general)

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018, 4:13 PM antonkulaga <[hidden email]> wrote:
-1 as https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-16406 does not seem to be
back-ported to 2.3.1 and it causes a lot of pain

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.3.2 (RC5)

cloud0fan
SPARK-25051 is resolved, can we start a new RC?

SPARK-16406 is an improvement, generally we should not backport.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 5:16 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
(We wouldn't consider lack of an improvement to block a maintenance release. It's reasonable to raise this elsewhere as a big nice to have on 2.3.x in general)

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018, 4:13 PM antonkulaga <[hidden email]> wrote:
-1 as https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-16406 does not seem to be
back-ported to 2.3.1 and it causes a lot of pain

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.3.2 (RC5)

Saisai Shao
There's still another one SPARK-25114.

I will wait for several days in case some other blocks jumped.

Thanks
Saisai

Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> 于2018年8月15日周三 上午10:19写道:
SPARK-25051 is resolved, can we start a new RC?

SPARK-16406 is an improvement, generally we should not backport.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 5:16 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
(We wouldn't consider lack of an improvement to block a maintenance release. It's reasonable to raise this elsewhere as a big nice to have on 2.3.x in general)

On Tue, Aug 14, 2018, 4:13 PM antonkulaga <[hidden email]> wrote:
-1 as https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-16406 does not seem to be
back-ported to 2.3.1 and it causes a lot of pain

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.3.2 (RC5)

chenliang613
Hi

Any new progress ?  will start RC6 soon ?

Regards
Liang

Saisai Shao wrote

> There's still another one SPARK-25114.
>
> I will wait for several days in case some other blocks jumped.
>
> Thanks
> Saisai
>

> Wenchen Fan &lt;

> cloud0fan@

> &gt; 于2018年8月15日周三 上午10:19写道:
>
>> SPARK-25051 is resolved, can we start a new RC?
>>
>> SPARK-16406 is an improvement, generally we should not backport.
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 5:16 AM Sean Owen &lt;

> srowen@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>>> (We wouldn't consider lack of an improvement to block a maintenance
>>> release. It's reasonable to raise this elsewhere as a big nice to have
>>> on
>>> 2.3.x in general)
>>>
>>> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018, 4:13 PM antonkulaga &lt;

> antonkulaga@

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.3.2 (RC5)

Saisai Shao
We're still pending on some issues, will prepare a RC6 when the fix is done.

Thanks
Saisai

chenliang613 <[hidden email]> 于2018年8月29日周三 下午11:46写道:
Hi

Any new progress ?  will start RC6 soon ?

Regards
Liang

Saisai Shao wrote
> There's still another one SPARK-25114.
>
> I will wait for several days in case some other blocks jumped.
>
> Thanks
> Saisai
>

> Wenchen Fan &lt;

> cloud0fan@

> &gt; 于2018年8月15日周三 上午10:19写道:
>
>> SPARK-25051 is resolved, can we start a new RC?
>>
>> SPARK-16406 is an improvement, generally we should not backport.
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2018 at 5:16 AM Sean Owen &lt;

> srowen@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>>> (We wouldn't consider lack of an improvement to block a maintenance
>>> release. It's reasonable to raise this elsewhere as a big nice to have
>>> on
>>> 2.3.x in general)
>>>
>>> On Tue, Aug 14, 2018, 4:13 PM antonkulaga &lt;

> antonkulaga@

zzc

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.3.2 (RC5)

zzc
Hi Saisai:
  Spark 2.4 was cut, and is there any new process on 2.3.2?

Re: [VOTE] SPARK 2.3.2 (RC5)

Saisai Shao
Hi,

PMC members asked me to hold a bit while they're dealing with some other things. Please wait for a bit while.

Thanks
Saisai

zzc <[hidden email]> 于2018年9月6日周四 下午4:27写道:
Hi Saisai:
  Spark 2.4 was cut, and is there any new process on 2.3.2?

RE: [VOTE] SPARK 2.3.2 (RC5)

Sharanabasappa G Keriwaddi

Hi –

Are there any blocking issues open for 2.3.2?

2.3.1 had few critical issues, I feel it would be better to publish 2.3.2 with all those critical bug fixes.

Thanks and Regards

Sharan

PMC members asked me to hold a bit while they're dealing with some other things. Please wait for a bit while.

Thanks

Saisai

zzc <[hidden email]> 201896日周四 下午4:27写道:

Hi Saisai:
  Spark 2.4 was cut, and is there any new process on 2.3.2?

Re: RE: [VOTE] SPARK 2.3.2 (RC5)

jonathan.schuff@gmail.com
2.3.2 includes crucial changes for Python 3.7 support as well.

Thanks,
Jon