[VOTE] Release Spark 3.1.1 (RC2)

Hyukjin Kwon
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 3.1.1.

The vote is open until February 15th 5PM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

Note that it is 7 days this time because it is a holiday season in several countries including South Korea (where I live), China etc., and I would like to make sure people do not miss it because it is a holiday season.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v3.1.1-rc2 (commit cf0115ac2d60070399af481b14566f33d22ec45e):

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:

The list of bug fixes going into 3.1.1 can be found at the following URL:

This release is using the release script of the tag v3.1.1-rc2.

===================
What happened to 3.1.0?
===================

There was a technical issue during Apache Spark 3.1.0 preparation, and it was discussed and decided to skip 3.1.0.
Please see https://spark.apache.org/news/next-official-release-spark-3.1.1.html for more details.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC via "pip install https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.1.1-rc2-bin/pyspark-3.1.1.tar.gz"
and see if anything important breaks.
In the Java/Scala, you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with an out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 3.1.1?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 3.1.1 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 3.1.1

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re:[VOTE] Release Spark 3.1.1 (RC2)

Dr. Kent Yao

+1

Kent Yao
@ Data Science Center, Hangzhou Research Institute, NetEase Corp.
a spark enthusiast
kyuubiis a unified multi-tenant JDBC interface for large-scale data processing and analytics, built on top of Apache Spark.

spark-authorizerA Spark SQL extension which provides SQL Standard Authorization for Apache Spark.
spark-postgres A library for reading data from and transferring data to Postgres / Greenplum with Spark SQL and DataFrames, 10~100x faster.
spark-func-extrasA library that brings excellent and useful functions from various modern database management systems to Apache Spark.

--------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.1.1 (RC2)

Hyukjin Kwon
+1 (binding) from myself too.

2021년 2월 9일 (화) 오전 9:28, Kent Yao <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

[...]

Sean Owen-3
Same result as last time for me, +1. Tested with Java 11.
I fixed the two issues without assignee; one was WontFix though.

Cheng Su-2

+1 for this release candidate.

Thanks,

Cheng Su

From: 郑瑞峰 <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, February 8, 2021 at 10:58 PM
To: Gengliang Wang <[hidden email]>, Sean Owen <[hidden email]>
Cc: gurwls223 <[hidden email]>, Yuming Wang <[hidden email]>, dev <[hidden email]>
回复: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.1.1 (RC2)

+1 (non-binding)

Thank you, Hyukjin

抄送: "Hyukjin Kwon"<[hidden email]>;"Yuming Wang"<[hidden email]>;"dev"<[hidden email]>;

主题: Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.1.1 (RC2)

+1

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 1:39 PM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Same result as last time for me, +1. Tested with Java 11.

I fixed the two issues without assignee; one was WontFix though.

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 7:43 PM Hyukjin Kwon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Let's set the assignees properly then. Shouldn't be a problem for the release.

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021, 10:40 Yuming Wang, <[hidden email]> wrote:

Many tickets do not have correct assignee:

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 9:05 AM Hyukjin Kwon <[hidden email]> wrote:

+1 (binding) from myself too.

2021 2 9 () 오전 9:28, Kent Yao <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

[...]

Jungtaek Lim-2
+1 (non-binding)

* verified signatures
* built custom distribution with enabling kubernetes & hadoop-cloud profile
* built custom docker image from dist
* ran applications "rate to kafka" & "kafka to kafka" on k8s cluster (local k3s)

Thanks for driving the release!

Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

From: 郑瑞峰 <[hidden email]>
Date: Monday, February 8, 2021 at 10:58 PM
To: Gengliang Wang <[hidden email]>, Sean Owen <[hidden email]>
Cc: gurwls223 <[hidden email]>, Yuming Wang <[hidden email]>, dev <[hidden email]>
回复: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.1.1 (RC2)

+1 (non-binding)

Thank you, Hyukjin

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.1.1 (RC2)

Mridul Muralidharan

Signatures, digests, etc check out fine.
Checked out tag and build/tested with -Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Phive -Phive-thriftserver -Pmesos -Pkubernetes

I keep getting test failures with org.apache.spark.sql.kafka010.KafkaDelegationTokenSuite: removing this suite gets the build through though - does anyone have suggestions on how to fix it ?
Perhaps a local problem at my end ?

Regards,
Mridul

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 6:24 PM Hyukjin Kwon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Takeshi Yamamuro
+1

I looked around the jira tickets and I think there is no explicit blocker issue on the Spark SQL component.
Also, I ran the tests on AWS envs and I couldn't find any issue there, too.

Bests,
Takeshi

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.1.1 (RC2)

Hyukjin Kwon
I have received a ping about a new blocker, a regression on a temporary function in CTE - worked before but now it's broken (https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/31550). Thank you [hidden email]
I tend to treat this as a legitimate blocker. I will cut another RC right after this fix if we're all good with it.

2021년 2월 11일 (목) 오전 9:20, Takeshi Yamamuro <[hidden email]>님이 작성:
[...]

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.1.1 (RC2)

Jacek Laskowski
Hi Hyukjin,

FYI: cloud-fan commented 3 hours ago: thanks, merging to master/3.1!

---
Takeshi Yamamuro