[VOTE] Release Spark 3.0.1 (RC3)

ruifengz
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 3.0.1.

The vote is open until Sep 2nd at 9AM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

There are currently no issues targeting 3.0.1 (try project = SPARK AND "Target Version/s" = "3.0.1" AND status in (Open, Reopened, "In Progress"))

The tag to be voted on is v3.0.1-rc3 (commit dc04bf53fe821b7a07f817966c6c173f3b3788c6):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v3.0.1-rc3

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.0.1-rc3-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1357/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.0.1-rc3-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 3.0.1 can be found at the following URL:
https://s.apache.org/q9g2d

This release is using the release script of the tag v3.0.1-rc3.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with an out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 3.0.1?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 3.0.1 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 3.0.1

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.0.1 (RC3)

Sean Owen-3
+1 from me. Same result as the last RC. I did see this test failure
but I think it was transient; unless anyone else sees it.

- SPARK-9757 Persist Parquet relation with decimal column *** FAILED ***
  spark-submit returned with exit code 137.
  Command line: './bin/spark-submit' '--class'
'org.apache.spark.sql.hive.SPARK_9757' '--name' 'SparkSQLConfTest'
'--master' 'local-cluster[2,1,1024]' '--conf' 'spark.ui.enabled=false'
'--conf' 'spark.master.rest.enabled=false' '--driver-java-options'
'-Dderby.system.durability=test'
'file:/home/srowen/spark-3.0.1/sql/hive/target/tmp/spark-8ebab30d-7402-4ab4-9a1a-4f0a562c4e78/testJar-1598659287705.jar'

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 9:02 AM 郑瑞峰 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 3.0.1.
>
> The vote is open until Sep 2nd at 9AM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 3.0.1
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> There are currently no issues targeting 3.0.1 (try project = SPARK AND "Target Version/s" = "3.0.1" AND status in (Open, Reopened, "In Progress"))
>
> The tag to be voted on is v3.0.1-rc3 (commit dc04bf53fe821b7a07f817966c6c173f3b3788c6):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v3.0.1-rc3

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.0.1-rc3-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1357/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v3.0.1-rc3-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 3.0.1 can be found at the following URL:
> https://s.apache.org/q9g2d
>
> This release is using the release script of the tag v3.0.1-rc3.

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with an out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 3.0.1?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 3.0.1 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 3.0.1
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 3.0.1 (RC3)

Jungtaek Lim-2
+1 (non-binding)

- Confirmed all combinations of Jenkins build passed for RC3.

spark-branch-3.0-test-maven-hadoop-2.7-hive-1.2 actually failed for the commit, but the build passed again in the next commit which is only doc change, so it was just due to a flaky test.

- Downloaded and verified all asc and sha512 files.

- Checked no blocker issues exist on 3.0.1.

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 11:28 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 3.0.1?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 3.0.1 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 3.0.1
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Dongjoon Hyun-2
+1.

Thank you all.

I tested the following additionally with OpenJDK 11.0.8.

    - PySpark UT on Python 3.7.7 with Pandas 0.23.2 / PyArrow 0.15.1.
    - JDBC integration suite
    - K8s integration suite (except SparkR test)
      (Minikube: K8s Client v1.18.8, K8s Server v1.17.11)

For SparkR, it would be great if someone can check the current status
because SparkR was removed from CRAN.

    - I used `R 3.5.2 (2018-12-20)` like 3.0.0 vote, but `dev/make-distribution.sh`
      failed for me when I used the `--r` option. However, since the release artifact has SparkR,
      I believe it's a problem on my env.

    - Jenkins is using `R 3.6.3 (2020-02-29)` and it seems to succeed,
      but K8s IT seems to fail consistently due to some unknown reasons.
      (https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/29533)
      "Run SparkR on simple dataframe.R example *** FAILED ***"

    - For Apache Spark 3.1, we are testing R 4.0 on `master` branch,
      but we don't have test coverage on `branch-3.0`.
      So, I'm wondering if Spark 3.0.1 supports R 4.0 without any issue.

In addition to the one which Xiao mentioned, we also had a late arrival on the correctness area,
but it wasn't a registered blocker before the 3.0.1 RC3 vote. Given that, it can be a part of 3.0.2.

    - [SPARK-31511][SQL] Make BytesToBytesMap iterators thread-safe
      https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/28286#issuecomment-682019408

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 7:54 AM Xiao Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hyukjin Kwon
For a quick correction:

 >   - For Apache Spark 3.1, we are testing R 4.0 on `master` branch,
 >     but we don't have test coverage on `branch-3.0`.
>      So, I'm wondering if Spark 3.0.1 supports R 4.0 without any issue.

I believe we now test SparkR at branch-3.0 with R 4.0 after https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/56ec5ddcac8233011c17fc7d120a284707f0f712

2020년 9월 2일 (수) 오후 12:47, Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]>님이 작성:
[...]

Nice. Thank you for confirming, Hyukjin.

For a quick correction: