[VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.8 (RC1)

Liang-Chi Hsieh

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version
2.4.8.

The vote is open until Apr 10th at 9AM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC
votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

There are currently no issues targeting 2.4.8 (try project = SPARK AND
"Target Version/s" = "2.4.8" AND status in (Open, Reopened, "In Progress"))

The tag to be voted on is v2.4.8-rc1 (commit
53d37e4e17254c4cfee1abcb60c36f865b255046):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.8-rc1

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.8-rc1-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1368/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.8-rc1-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.8 can be found at the following URL:
https://s.apache.org/spark-v2.4.8-rc1

This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.8-rc1.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with an out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.8?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.8 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target
Version/s" = 2.4.8

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.8 (RC1)

Sean Owen-3
Looks good to me testing on Java 8, Hadoop 2.7, Ubuntu, with about all profiles enabled.
I still get an odd failure in the Hive versions suite, but I keep seeing that in my env and think it's something odd about my setup.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.8 (RC1)

cloud0fan
+1

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 9:24 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Looks good to me testing on Java 8, Hadoop 2.7, Ubuntu, with about all profiles enabled.
I still get an odd failure in the Hive versions suite, but I keep seeing that in my env and think it's something odd about my setup.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.8 (RC1)

Takeshi Yamamuro
Thanks for driving this, Liang-Chi~
IIUC there is no critical issue in the SQL part, so it looks fine.

+1 (non-binding)

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.8 (RC1)

Liang-Chi Hsieh
Thanks for voting.

After I started running the release script to cut RC1 for a while, I found a
nested column pruning bug SPARK-34963, and unfortunately it exists in 2.4.7
too. As RC1 is cut, so I continue this voting.

The bug looks corner case to me and it is not reported yet since we support
nested column pruning from 2.4. So maybe it is okay to not fix it in 2.4?

cloud0fan wrote
> +1
>
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 9:24 AM Sean Owen &lt;

> srowen@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> Looks good to me testing on Java 8, Hadoop 2.7, Ubuntu, with about all
>> profiles enabled.
>> I still get an odd failure in the Hive versions suite, but I keep seeing
>> that in my env and think it's something odd about my setup.
>> +1

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.8 (RC1)

Mridul Muralidharan

Do we have a fix for this in 3.x/master which can be backported without too much surrounding change ?
Given we are expecting 2.4.7 to probably be the last release for 2.4, if we can fix it, that would be great.

Regards,
Mridul

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 9:31 PM Liang-Chi Hsieh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for voting.

After I started running the release script to cut RC1 for a while, I found a
nested column pruning bug SPARK-34963, and unfortunately it exists in 2.4.7
too. As RC1 is cut, so I continue this voting.

The bug looks corner case to me and it is not reported yet since we support
nested column pruning from 2.4. So maybe it is okay to not fix it in 2.4?

cloud0fan wrote
> +1
>
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 9:24 AM Sean Owen &lt;

> srowen@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> Looks good to me testing on Java 8, Hadoop 2.7, Ubuntu, with about all
>> profiles enabled.
>> I still get an odd failure in the Hive versions suite, but I keep seeing
>> that in my env and think it's something odd about my setup.
>> +1

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.8 (RC1)

Liang-Chi Hsieh

I'm working on the fix for master. I think the fix is the same for 2.4.

Okay. So I think we are in favor of RC2 and RC1 is dropped. Then I will make
the fix merged first and then prepare RC2.

Thank you.

Liang-Chi

Mridul Muralidharan wrote