[VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.7 (RC3)

Prashant Sharma
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.7.

The vote is open until Sep 11th at 9AM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.7

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

There are currently no issues targeting 2.4.7 (try project = SPARK AND "Target Version/s" = "2.4.7" AND status in (Open, Reopened, "In Progress"))

The tag to be voted on is v2.4.7-rc3 (commit 14211a19f53bd0f413396582c8970e3e0a74281d):

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.7-rc3-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1361/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.7-rc3-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.7 can be found at the following URL:
https://s.apache.org/spark-v2.4.7-rc3

This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.7-rc3.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with an out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.7?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.7 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.7

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.7 (RC3)

Sean Owen-3
+1 from as with the last RC.

(This no no big deal, but
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1361/
says it is not exposed.)

I got a few failures in tests, but I think it is likely due to the
system I'm running on. If nobody else sees these (and Jenkins seems
OK) then I presume that's transient.

org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HiveExternalCatalogVersionsSuite *** ABORTED ***
  Exception encountered when invoking run on a nested suite -
spark-submit returned with exit code 1.
  Command line: './bin/spark-submit' '--name' 'prepare testing tables'
'--master' 'local[2]' '--conf' 'spark.ui.enabled=false' '--conf'
'spark.master.rest.enabled=false' '--conf'
'spark.sql.warehouse.dir=/mnt/data/spark-2.4.7/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-b5a650df-7344-4d27-85f5-2ac35421e3f8'
'--conf' 'spark.sql.test.version.index=0' '--driver-java-options'
'-Dderby.system.home=/mnt/data/spark-2.4.7/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-b5a650df-7344-4d27-85f5-2ac35421e3f8'
'/mnt/data/spark-2.4.7/sql/hive/target/tmp/test6621665241016055697.py'

- run Python application in yarn-client mode *** FAILED ***
     File "/mnt/data/spark-2.4.7/python/lib/pyspark.zip/pyspark/cloudpickle.py",
line 145, in <module>
    File "/mnt/data/spark-2.4.7/python/lib/pyspark.zip/pyspark/cloudpickle.py",
line 126, in _make_cell_set_template_code
  TypeError: an integer is required (got type bytes)
  20/09/08 13:28:27 INFO ShutdownHookManager: Shutdown hook called

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 8:54 AM Prashant Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.7.
>
> The vote is open until Sep 11th at 9AM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.7
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> There are currently no issues targeting 2.4.7 (try project = SPARK AND "Target Version/s" = "2.4.7" AND status in (Open, Reopened, "In Progress"))
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.7-rc3 (commit 14211a19f53bd0f413396582c8970e3e0a74281d):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.7-rc3

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.7-rc3-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1361/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.7-rc3-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.7 can be found at the following URL:
> https://s.apache.org/spark-v2.4.7-rc3
>
> This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.7-rc3.

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with an out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.7?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.7 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.7
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.7 (RC3)

Mridul Muralidharan

+1

Signatures, digests, etc check out fine.
Checked out tag and built/tested with -Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Phive -Phive-thriftserver -Pmesos -Pkubernetes

Thanks,
Mridul

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 8:55 AM Prashant Sharma <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.7 (RC3)

cloud0fan
I checked https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1361/ , it says the Signature Validation failed.

Prashant, can you double-check your gpg key and make sure it's uploaded to public key servers like the following?

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 6:12 AM Mridul Muralidharan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.7 (RC3)

Sean Owen-2
I see that this link isn't exposed as noted before; what are you
seeing regarding a signature?
The .asc signatures appear valid if you import the KEYS file in the
e-mail, and that is the source of truth for signing releases.

help target the issue.

help target the issue.

help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.7 (RC3)

Prashant Sharma
Hi Wenchen and Sean,

Thanks for looking into this and all the details.

I have now updated the key in those keyservers. Now, how do I refresh nexus?

Thanks,

help target the issue.

help target the issue.

that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.7 (RC3)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
+1

I tested JDBC IT and manually verified K8s submission part on AWS EKS.

help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.7 (RC3)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Hi, Prashant.

Could you conclude the vote result, please? I'm wondering if there are unknown issues on RC3 or not.

help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.7 (RC3)

Prashant Sharma
Hi Dongjoon, sorry I am on a different timezone, next time I will plan in a way that the vote is concluded on time.

Thank you !

help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.7 (RC3)

Dongjoon Hyun-2