[VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.6 (RC1)

Holden Karau
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.6.

The vote is open until February 5th 11PM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

There are currently no issues targeting 2.4.6 (try project = SPARK AND "Target Version/s" = "2.4.6" AND status in (Open, Reopened, "In Progress"))

We _may_ want to hold the 2.4.6 release for something targetted to 2.4.7 ( project = SPARK AND "Target Version/s" = "2.4.7") , currently, SPARK-24266 & SPARK-26908 and I believe there is some discussion on if we should include SPARK-31399 in this release.

The tag to be voted on is v2.4.5-rc2 (commit a3cffc997035d11e1f6c092c1186e943f2f63544):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.6-rc1

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.6-rc1-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1340/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.6-rc1-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.6 can be found at the following URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12346781

This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.6-rc1.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.6?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.5 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.6

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.6 (RC1)

Holden Karau
Thanks for catching that, I was looking at the old release and looked for all the refs to 2.4.5 but missed that.

1343 ( https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1343/ ) is the one to vote on, the others were dry runs of the release script which were a little less dry than I was expecting.

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 6:43 PM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

+1 from me. The usual: sigs OK, license looks as intended, tests pass
from a source build for me.

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 1:29 PM Holden Karau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.6?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.5 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.6
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Yuanjian Li
Hi Holden,

I'm working on the bugfix of SPARK-31663, let me post it here since it's a correctness bug and also affects 2.4.6.

Best,
Yuanjian

Sean Owen <[hidden email]> 于2020年5月8日周五 下午11:42写道:
> [...]

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.6?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.5 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.6
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Can you provide a bit more context (is it a regression?)

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 9:33 AM Yuanjian Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.6?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.5 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.6
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

I confirmed and update the JIRA. SPARK-31663 is a correctness issue since Apache Spark 2.4.0.

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 10:26 AM Holden Karau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.6?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.5 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.6
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Thanks Dongjoon :)
So it’s not a regression, but if it won’t be a large delay I think holding for the correctness fix would be good (and we can pick up the two issues fixed in 2.4.7). What does everyone think?

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 11:40 AM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.6?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.5 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.6
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Takeshi Yamamuro
I checked on my MacOS env; all the tests
with `-Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Pdocker-integration-tests -Phive -Phive-thriftserver -Pmesos -Pkubernetes -Psparkr`
passed and I couldn't find any issue;

maropu@~:$java -version
java version "1.8.0_181"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.181-b13, mixed mode)

Bests,
Takeshi

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.6 (RC1)

Yuanjian Li
Thanks Holden and Dongjoon for the help!
The bugfix for SPARK-31663 is ready for review, hope it can be picked up in 2.4.7 if possible.

Best,
Yuanjian

Takeshi Yamamuro <[hidden email]> 于2020年5月11日周一 上午9:03写道:

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Spark 2.4.6 (RC1)

Holden Karau
Thanks. The 2.4.6 RC1 vote fails because we don’t have enough binding +1s, I’ll start a new RC once 31663 is merged or next week whichever is first.

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 7:28 AM Yuanjian Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.6?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.5 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.6
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Prashant Sharma
Hi Holden,

I am +1 on this release, the fix for SPARK-31663 can make it to next release as well.

Thanks,