[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.5.

The vote is open until January 16th 5AM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.4.5-rc1 (commit 33bd2beee5e3772a9af1d782f195e6a678c54cf0):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.5-rc1

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.5-rc1-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1339/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.5-rc1-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.5 can be found at the following URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12346042

This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.5-rc1.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.5?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.5 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.5

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
+1.

I verified with GPG and tested RC1 with the followings.

  - Profile: -Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Pkubernetes -Pkinesis-asl -Phive -Phive-thriftserver
  - Java: OpenJDK 1.8.0_232
  - OS: CentOS (7.5.1804)
  - All Scala/Java UTs and JDBC IT passed.
  - Test with Amazon EKS
    Client Version: v1.17.0
    Server Version: v1.14.9-eks-c0eccc

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 4:27 AM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

+1 from me. I checked sigs/licenses, and built/tested from source on
Java 8 + Ubuntu 18.04 with " -Pyarn -Phive -Phive-thriftserver
-Phadoop-2.7 -Pmesos -Pkubernetes -Psparkr -Pkinesis-asl". I do get
test failures, but, these are some I have always seen on Ubuntu, and I
do not know why they happen. They don't seem to affect others, but,
let me know if anyone else sees these?

Always happens for me:

- HDFSMetadataLog: metadata directory collision *** FAILED ***
  The await method on Waiter timed out. (HDFSMetadataLogSuite.scala:178)

This one has been flaky at times due to external dependencies:

org.apache.spark.sql.hive.HiveExternalCatalogVersionsSuite *** ABORTED ***
  Exception encountered when invoking run on a nested suite -
spark-submit returned with exit code 1.
  Command line: './bin/spark-submit' '--name' 'prepare testing tables'
'--master' 'local[2]' '--conf' 'spark.ui.enabled=false' '--conf'
'spark.master.rest.enabled=false' '--conf'
'spark.sql.warehouse.dir=/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-c2f762fd-688e-42b7-a822-06823a6bbd98'
'--conf' 'spark.sql.test.version.index=0' '--driver-java-options'
'-Dderby.system.home=/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-c2f762fd-688e-42b7-a822-06823a6bbd98'
'/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/test7297526474581770293.py'

Kafka doesn't build with this weird error. I tried a clean build. I
think we've seen this before.

[error] This symbol is required by 'method
org.apache.spark.metrics.MetricsSystem.getServletHandlers'.
[error] Make sure that term eclipse is in your classpath and check for
conflicting dependencies with `-Ylog-classpath`.
[error] A full rebuild may help if 'MetricsSystem.class' was compiled
against an incompatible version of org.
[error]     testUtils.sendMessages(topic, data.toArray)
[error]

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:28 AM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.5.
>
> The vote is open until January 16th 5AM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.5
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.5-rc1 (commit 33bd2beee5e3772a9af1d782f195e6a678c54cf0):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.5-rc1

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.5-rc1-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1339/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.5-rc1-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.5 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12346042
>
> This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.5-rc1.

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.5?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.5 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.5
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Thank you, Sean.

First of all, the `Ubuntu` job on Amplab Jenkins farm is green.

For the failures,
   1. Yes, the `HiveExternalCatalogVersionsSuite` flakiness is a known one.
   2. For `HDFSMetadataLogSuite` failure, I also observed a few time before in CentOS too.
   3. Kafka build error is new to me. Does it happen on `Maven` clean build?

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 6:40 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.5 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.5
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

Sean Owen-3
Yeah it's something about the env I spun up, but I don't know what. It
happens frequently when I test, but not on Jenkins.
The Kafka error comes up every now and then and a clean rebuild fixes
it, but not in my case. I don't know why.
But if nobody else sees it, I'm pretty sure it's just an artifact of
the local VM.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:57 PM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.5 can be found at:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.5
>> >
>> > Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> > fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> > be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> > appropriate release.
>> >
>> > ==================
>> > But my bug isn't fixed?
>> > ==================
>> >
>> > In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> > release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> > release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> > that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
>> > help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

DB Tsai-3
+1 Thanks.

Sincerely,

DB Tsai
Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 11:08 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> '--conf' 'spark.sql.test.version.index=0' '--driver-java-options'
> >> '-Dderby.system.home=/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-c2f762fd-688e-42b7-a822-06823a6bbd98'
> >> '/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/test7297526474581770293.py'
> >>
> >> Kafka doesn't build with this weird error. I tried a clean build. I
> >> think we've seen this before.
> >>
> >> [error] This symbol is required by 'method
> >> org.apache.spark.metrics.MetricsSystem.getServletHandlers'.
> >> [error] Make sure that term eclipse is in your classpath and check for
> >> conflicting dependencies with `-Ylog-classpath`.
> >> [error] A full rebuild may help if 'MetricsSystem.class' was compiled
> >> against an incompatible version of org.
> >> [error]     testUtils.sendMessages(topic, data.toArray)
> >> [error]

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

Takeshi Yamamuro
+1;

I checked the links and materials, then I run the tests with
`-Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Phive -Phive-thriftserver -Pmesos -Pkubernetes -Psparkr`
on macOS (Java 8).
All the things look fine and I didn't see the error on my env
that Sean said above.

Thanks, Dongjoon!

Bests,
Takeshi

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 4:09 AM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> >> 'spark.sql.warehouse.dir=/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-c2f762fd-688e-42b7-a822-06823a6bbd98'
> >> '--conf' 'spark.sql.test.version.index=0' '--driver-java-options'
> >> '-Dderby.system.home=/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-c2f762fd-688e-42b7-a822-06823a6bbd98'
> >> '/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/test7297526474581770293.py'
> >>
> >> Kafka doesn't build with this weird error. I tried a clean build. I
> >> think we've seen this before.
> >>
> >> [error] This symbol is required by 'method
> >> org.apache.spark.metrics.MetricsSystem.getServletHandlers'.
> >> [error] Make sure that term eclipse is in your classpath and check for
> >> conflicting dependencies with `-Ylog-classpath`.
> >> [error] A full rebuild may help if 'MetricsSystem.class' was compiled
> >> against an incompatible version of org.
> >> [error]     testUtils.sendMessages(topic, data.toArray)

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

Hyukjin Kwon
+1

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020, 08:24 Takeshi Yamamuro, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> >> 'spark.sql.warehouse.dir=/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-c2f762fd-688e-42b7-a822-06823a6bbd98'
> >> '--conf' 'spark.sql.test.version.index=0' '--driver-java-options'
> >> '-Dderby.system.home=/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-c2f762fd-688e-42b7-a822-06823a6bbd98'
> >> '/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/test7297526474581770293.py'
> >>
> >> Kafka doesn't build with this weird error. I tried a clean build. I
> >> think we've seen this before.
> >>
> >> [error] This symbol is required by 'method
> >> org.apache.spark.metrics.MetricsSystem.getServletHandlers'.
> >> [error] Make sure that term eclipse is in your classpath and check for
> >> conflicting dependencies with `-Ylog-classpath`.
> >> [error] A full rebuild may help if 'MetricsSystem.class' was compiled
> >> against an incompatible version of org.
> >> [error]     testUtils.sendMessages(topic, data.toArray)

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

cloud0fan
Recently we merged several fixes to 2.4:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-29708   a correctness issue(for a rarely used feature, so not merged to 2.4 yet)

Shall we include them?

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

Hyukjin Kwon
If we go for RC2, we should include both:

https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/27210
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/27184

just for the sake of being complete and making the maintenance simple.

2020년 1월 16일 (목) 오후 12:38, Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Sure. Wenchen and Hyukjin.

I observed all of the above reported issues and have been waiting to collect more information before cancelling RC1 vote.

The other stuff I've observed is that Marcelo and Sean also requested reverting the existing commit.
- https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/24732 (spark.shuffle.io.backLog change)

To All.
We want your explicit feedbacks. Please reply on this thread.

Although we get enough positive feedbacks here, I'll cancel this RC1.
I want to address at least the above negative feedbacks and roll RC2 next Monday.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 7:47 PM Hyukjin Kwon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> >> 'spark.sql.warehouse.dir=/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-c2f762fd-688e-42b7-a822-06823a6bbd98'
> >> '--conf' 'spark.sql.test.version.index=0' '--driver-java-options'
> >> '-Dderby.system.home=/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-c2f762fd-688e-42b7-a822-06823a6bbd98'
> >> '/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/test7297526474581770293.py'
> >>
> >> Kafka doesn't build with this weird error. I tried a clean build. I
> >> think we've seen this before.
> >>
> >> [error] This symbol is required by 'method
> >> org.apache.spark.metrics.MetricsSystem.getServletHandlers'.
> >> [error] Make sure that term eclipse is in your classpath and check for
> >> conflicting dependencies with `-Ylog-classpath`.
> >> [error] A full rebuild may help if 'MetricsSystem.class' was compiled
> >> against an incompatible version of org.
> >> [error]     testUtils.sendMessages(topic, data.toArray)

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

Jungtaek Lim-2
Once we decided to cancel the RC1, what about including SPARK-29450 (https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/27209) into RC2?

SPARK-29450 was merged into master, and Xiao figured out it fixed a regression, long lasting one (broken at 2.3.0). The link refers the PR for 2.4 branch.

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Thank you, Jungtaek!

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 8:57 PM Jungtaek Lim <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> >> 'spark.sql.warehouse.dir=/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-c2f762fd-688e-42b7-a822-06823a6bbd98'
> >> '--conf' 'spark.sql.test.version.index=0' '--driver-java-options'
> >> '-Dderby.system.home=/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/warehouse-c2f762fd-688e-42b7-a822-06823a6bbd98'
> >> '/data/spark-2.4.5/sql/hive/target/tmp/test7297526474581770293.py'
> >>
> >> Kafka doesn't build with this weird error. I tried a clean build. I
> >> think we've seen this before.
> >>
> >> [error] This symbol is required by 'method
> >> org.apache.spark.metrics.MetricsSystem.getServletHandlers'.
> >> [error] Make sure that term eclipse is in your classpath and check for
> >> conflicting dependencies with `-Ylog-classpath`.
> >> [error] A full rebuild may help if 'MetricsSystem.class' was compiled
> >> against an incompatible version of org.
> >> [error]     testUtils.sendMessages(topic, data.toArray)

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.5 (RC1)

Xiao Li-2
-1

Let us include the correctness fix: https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/27229

Thanks,