[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.4.

The vote is open until August 30th 5PM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.4.4-rc3 (commit 7955b3962ac46b89564e0613db7bea98a1478bf2):

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:

The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.4 can be found at the following URL:

This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.4-rc3.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.4?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.4 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.4

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
+1.

- Checked checksums and signatures of artifacts.
- Checked to have all binaries and maven repo.
- Checked document generation (including a new change after RC2)
- Build with `-Pyarn -Pmesos -Pkubernetes -Phive -Phive-thriftserver -Phadoop-2.6` on AdoptOpenJDK8_202.
- Tested with both Scala-2.11/Scala-2.12 and both Python2/3.
   Python 2.7.15 with numpy 1.16.4, scipy 1.2.2, pandas 0.19.2, pyarrow 0.8.0
   Python 3.6.4 with numpy 1.16.4, scipy 1.2.2, pandas 0.23.2, pyarrow 0.11.0
- Tested JDBC IT.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 4:05 PM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

help target the issue.

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

Kazuaki Ishizaki
+1
Built and tested with `mvn -Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Pkubernetes -Pkinesis-asl -Phive -Phive-thriftserver test` on OpenJDK 1.8.0_211 on Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64

Regards,
Kazuaki Ishizaki

From:        Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]>
To:        dev <[hidden email]>
Date:        2019/08/28 12:14
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

[...]

https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.4-rc3

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc3-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1332/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc3-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.4 can be found at the following URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12345466

[...]

help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

+1 from me again.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 6:06 PM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.4.
>
> The vote is open until August 30th 5PM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.4
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.4-rc3 (commit 7955b3962ac46b89564e0613db7bea98a1478bf2):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.4-rc3

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc3-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1332/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc3-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.4 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12345466
>
> This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.4-rc3.

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.4?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.4 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.4
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

cloud0fan
+1, no more blocking issues that I'm aware of.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 8:33 PM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 from me again.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 6:06 PM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.4.
>
> The vote is open until August 30th 5PM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.4
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.4-rc3 (commit 7955b3962ac46b89564e0613db7bea98a1478bf2):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.4-rc3

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc3-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1332/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc3-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.4 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12345466
>
> This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.4-rc3.

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.4?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.4 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.4
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

DB Tsai-6
+1

Thanks!

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 7:14 AM Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1, no more blocking issues that I'm aware of.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 8:33 PM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 from me again.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 6:06 PM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.4.
>
> The vote is open until August 30th 5PM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.4
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.4-rc3 (commit 7955b3962ac46b89564e0613db7bea98a1478bf2):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.4-rc3

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc3-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1332/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc3-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.4 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12345466
>
> This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.4-rc3.

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.4?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.4 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.4
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

- DB Sent from my iPhone

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

Holden Karau
+1
Installed PySpark in a py3 virtual env & checked the PKG-INFO which we've had difficulty with previously and looked good.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 10:17 AM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

Thanks!

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 7:14 AM Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1, no more blocking issues that I'm aware of.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 8:33 PM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 from me again.

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 6:06 PM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.4.
>
> The vote is open until August 30th 5PM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.4
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.4-rc3 (commit 7955b3962ac46b89564e0613db7bea98a1478bf2):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.4-rc3

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc3-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1332/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc3-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.4 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12345466
>
> This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.4-rc3.

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.4?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.4 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.4
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

- DB Sent from my iPhone

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

Marcelo Vanzin-2
+1

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

Takeshi Yamamuro
I checked the tests passed again on the same env.
It looks ok.

--
Marcelo

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

Hyukjin Kwon
+1 (from the last blocker PR)

2019년 8월 29일 (목) 오전 8:20, Takeshi Yamamuro <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

--
Marcelo

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

Felix Cheung
+1

Run tests, R tests, r-hub Debian, Ubuntu, mac, Windows

--
Marcelo

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC3)

Xiao Li
+1

Xiao

Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> 于2019年8月30日周五 上午2:03写道:

--
Marcelo

---
Takeshi Yamamuro