[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC2)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.4.

The vote is open until August 29th 1AM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.4.4-rc2 (commit b7a15b69aca8a2fc3f308105e5978a69dff0f4fb):

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:

The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.4 can be found at the following URL:

This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.4-rc2.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.4?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.4 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.4

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC2)

Sean Owen-3
+1 as per response to RC1. The existing issues identified there seem
to have been fixed.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 2:45 AM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.4.
>
> The vote is open until August 29th 1AM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.4
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.4-rc2 (commit b7a15b69aca8a2fc3f308105e5978a69dff0f4fb):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.4-rc2

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc2-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1327/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc2-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.4 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12345466
>
> This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.4-rc2.

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.4?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.4 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.4
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC2)

Takeshi Yamamuro
Hi, Dongjoon

I checked that all the test passed on my Mac/x86_64 env with:
-Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Phive -Phive-thriftserver -Pmesos -Pkubernetes -Pkubernetes-integration-tests -Psparkr

maropu@~/spark-2.4.4-rc2:$java -version
java version "1.8.0_181"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.181-b13, mixed mode)

Bests,
Takeshi

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 11:06 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 as per response to RC1. The existing issues identified there seem
to have been fixed.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 2:45 AM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.4.
>
> The vote is open until August 29th 1AM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.4
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.4-rc2 (commit b7a15b69aca8a2fc3f308105e5978a69dff0f4fb):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.4-rc2

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc2-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1327/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc2-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.4 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12345466
>
> This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.4-rc2.

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.4?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.4 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.4
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC2)

Hyukjin Kwon
-1

Seems there's one critical correctness issue specifically in branch-2.4 ...
Please take a look for https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/25593

2019년 8월 27일 (화) 오후 2:38, Takeshi Yamamuro <[hidden email]>님이 작성:

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC2)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Hi, All.

Thank you for testing.

2.4.4 RC2 vote fails due to the PySpark correctness issue.
Since the blocker is merged, I'll start RC3 soon.

---
Takeshi Yamamuro