[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC1)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.4.

The vote is open until August 22nd 10AM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.4.4-rc1 (commit 13f2465c6c8328e988f7215ee5f5d2c5e69e8d21):

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:

The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.4 can be found at the following URL:

This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.4-rc1.

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.4?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.4 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.4

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC1)

Sean Owen-3
Things are looking pretty good so far, but a few notes:

I thought we might need this PR to make the 2.12 build of 2.4.x not
try to build Kafka 0.8 support, but, I'm not seeing that 2.4.x + 2.12
builds or tests it?
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/25482
I can merge this to 2.4 shortly anyway, but not clear it affects the RC.

I'm getting one weird failure in tests:

- daysToMillis and millisToDays *** FAILED ***
  8634 did not equal 8633 Round trip of 8633 did not work in tz
sun.util.calendar.ZoneInfo[id="Kwajalein",offset=43200000,dstSavings=0,useDaylight=false,transitions=8,lastRule=null]
(DateTimeUtilsSuite.scala:683)

See https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/19234#pullrequestreview-64463435
for some context and
https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/c5b8d54c61780af6e9e157e6c855718df972efad
for a fix for a similar type of issue.

This may be quite specific to a particular version of Java 8, but I'm
testing on the latest (1.8.0_222). We can 'patch' it by allowing for
multiple correct answers here.
It may not hold up the RC unless others see the failure, but I can
work on that anyway.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 11:55 AM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.4.
>
> The vote is open until August 22nd 10AM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.4
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.4-rc1 (commit 13f2465c6c8328e988f7215ee5f5d2c5e69e8d21):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.4-rc1

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc1-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1326/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.4-rc1-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.4 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12345466
>
> This release is using the release script of the tag v2.4.4-rc1.

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.4?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.4 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.4
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC1)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Thank you for testing, Sean and Herman.

There are three reporting until now.

1. SPARK-28775 is for JDK 8u221+ testing at Apache Spark 3.0/2.4/2.3.
2. SPARK-28749 is for Scala 2.12 Python testing at Apache Spark 2.4 only.
3. SPARK-28699 is for disabling radix sort for ShuffleExchangeExec at Apache Spark 3.0/2.4/2.3.

Both (1) and (2) are nice-to-have and test-only fixes. (3) could be a correctness issue, but it seems that there are some other approaches.
I'm monitoring all reports. Let's see. For now, I'd like to continue 2.4.4 RC1 voting for more testing.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 2:09 PM Herman van Hovell <[hidden email]> wrote:
The error you are seeing is caused by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-28775.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 10:40 PM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.4 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.4
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC1)

cloud0fan
Unfortunately, I need to -1.

Recently we found that the repartition correctness bug can still be reproduced. The root cause has been identified and there are 2 PRs to fix 2 related issues:

I think we should have this fix in 2.3 and 2.4.

Thanks,
Wenchen

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:32 AM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.4 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.4
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC1)

Sounds fine, we probably needed SPARK-28775 anyway. I merged that and
SPARK-28749. It looks like it's just the one you're talking about
right now, SPARK-28699.
The rest of the tests seemed to pass OK, release looks good, but bears
more testing by everyone out there before a next RC.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 12:10 AM Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I need to -1.
>
> Recently we found that the repartition correctness bug can still be reproduced. The root cause has been identified and there are 2 PRs to fix 2 related issues:
> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/25491
> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/25498
>
> I think we should have this fix in 2.3 and 2.4.
>
> Thanks,
> Wenchen
>
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:32 AM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for testing, Sean and Herman.
>>
>> There are three reporting until now.
>>
>> 1. SPARK-28775 is for JDK 8u221+ testing at Apache Spark 3.0/2.4/2.3.
>> 2. SPARK-28749 is for Scala 2.12 Python testing at Apache Spark 2.4 only.
>> 3. SPARK-28699 is for disabling radix sort for ShuffleExchangeExec at Apache Spark 3.0/2.4/2.3.
>>
>> Both (1) and (2) are nice-to-have and test-only fixes. (3) could be a correctness issue, but it seems that there are some other approaches.
>> I'm monitoring all reports. Let's see. For now, I'd like to continue 2.4.4 RC1 voting for more testing.
>>
>> Bests,
>> Dongjoon.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC1)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Hi, All.

This 2.4.4 RC1 vote fails and the reported PRs are merged to `branch-2.4`.
The following is the commit list since `v2.4.4-rc1` tag.

Preparing development version 2.4.5-SNAPSHOT
[SPARK-28749][TEST][BRANCH-2.4] Fix PySpark tests not to require kafka-0-8
[SPARK-28775][CORE][TESTS] Skip date 8633 in Kwajalein due to changes in tzdata2018i that only some JDK 8s use
[SPARK-28777][PYTHON][DOCS] Fix format_string doc string with the correct parameters
[SPARK-28650][SS][DOC] Correct explanation of guarantee for ForeachWriter
[SPARK-26895][CORE][2.4] prepareSubmitEnvironment should be called within doAs for proxy users
[SPARK-28699][SQL] Disable using radix sort for ShuffleExchangeExec in repartition case
[SPARK-28844][SQL] Fix typo in SQLConf FILE_COMRESSION_FACTOR
[SPARK-28780][ML][2.4] deprecate LinearSVCModel.setWeightCol
[SPARK-28699][CORE][2.4] Fix a corner case for aborting indeterminate stage

Please let me know if we need more patches.
I'm going to cut `2.4.4-rc2` tag during weekend and starts RC2 on next Monday.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 5:01 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sounds fine, we probably needed SPARK-28775 anyway. I merged that and
SPARK-28749. It looks like it's just the one you're talking about
right now, SPARK-28699.
The rest of the tests seemed to pass OK, release looks good, but bears
more testing by everyone out there before a next RC.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 12:10 AM Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I need to -1.
>
> Recently we found that the repartition correctness bug can still be reproduced. The root cause has been identified and there are 2 PRs to fix 2 related issues:
> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/25491
> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/25498
>
> I think we should have this fix in 2.3 and 2.4.
>
> Thanks,
> Wenchen
>
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 7:32 AM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for testing, Sean and Herman.
>>
>> There are three reporting until now.
>>
>> 1. SPARK-28775 is for JDK 8u221+ testing at Apache Spark 3.0/2.4/2.3.
>> 2. SPARK-28749 is for Scala 2.12 Python testing at Apache Spark 2.4 only.
>> 3. SPARK-28699 is for disabling radix sort for ShuffleExchangeExec at Apache Spark 3.0/2.4/2.3.
>>
>> Both (1) and (2) are nice-to-have and test-only fixes. (3) could be a correctness issue, but it seems that there are some other approaches.
>> I'm monitoring all reports. Let's see. For now, I'd like to continue 2.4.4 RC1 voting for more testing.
>>
>> Bests,
>> Dongjoon.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.4 (RC1)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
FYI, three more patches landed to `branch-2.4` until yesterday.

[SPARK-28642][SQL][2.4] Hide credentials in show create table
[SPARK-27330][SS][2.4] support task abort in foreach writer
[SPARK-28025][SS][2.4] Fix FileContextBasedCheckpointFileManager leaking crc files

For some non-blocker issues like `[SPARK-28778][MESOS] Fixed executors advertised address ...`,
we can have it if it lands before `2.4.4-rc2` tag creation. I'll make `2.4.4-rc2` tag tomorrow.

Please let me know if there is blocker issues.