[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

123

[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

cloud0fan
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.2.

The vote is open until April 23 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.4.2-rc1 (commit a44880ba74caab7a987128cb09c4bee41617770a):

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:

The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.1 can be found at the following URL:

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.2?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.2 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.2

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Shane Knapp
UC Berkeley EECS Research / RISELab Staff Technical Lead

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

Xiao Li-2
Hi, Shane,

Based on my understanding, the update of test infra scripts does not block the release of 2.4.2. Let us know whether you have any concern about this.

Cheers,

Xiao

https://databricks.com/sparkaisummit/north-america?utm_source=email&utm_medium=signature

Shane Knapp
UC Berkeley EECS Research / RISELab Staff Technical Lead

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

Holden Karau
I'm a +1
- Tested PySpark venv install and checked PKG_INFO
- Tested Spark-Testing-Base with Spark 2.4.2

On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 1:24 PM shane knapp <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

+1 from me too.

It seems like there is support for merging the Jackson change into
2.4.x (and, I think, a few more minor dependency updates) but this
doesn't have to go into 2.4.2. That said, if there is another RC for
any reason, I think we could include it. Otherwise can wait for 2.4.3.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 9:51 PM Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.2.
>
> The vote is open until April 23 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
> a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.2
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.2-rc1 (commit a44880ba74caab7a987128cb09c4bee41617770a):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.2-rc1

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.2-rc1-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1322/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.2-rc1-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.1 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12344996

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.2?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.2 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.2
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

Felix Cheung
+1

R tests, package tests on r-hub. Manually check commits under R, doc etc

It seems like there is support for merging the Jackson change into
2.4.x (and, I think, a few more minor dependency updates) but this
doesn't have to go into 2.4.2. That said, if there is another RC for
any reason, I think we could include it. Otherwise can wait for 2.4.3.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 9:51 PM Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.2.
>
> The vote is open until April 23 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
> a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.2
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.2-rc1 (commit a44880ba74caab7a987128cb09c4bee41617770a):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.2-rc1

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.2-rc1-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1322/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.2-rc1-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.1 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12344996

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.2?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.2 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.2
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

vaquarkhan
+1

Regards,
Vaquar khan

On Sun, Apr 21, 2019, 11:19 PM Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

R tests, package tests on r-hub. Manually check commits under R, doc etc

It seems like there is support for merging the Jackson change into
2.4.x (and, I think, a few more minor dependency updates) but this
doesn't have to go into 2.4.2. That said, if there is another RC for
any reason, I think we could include it. Otherwise can wait for 2.4.3.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 9:51 PM Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.2.
>
> The vote is open until April 23 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
> a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.2
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.2-rc1 (commit a44880ba74caab7a987128cb09c4bee41617770a):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.2-rc1

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.2-rc1-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1322/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.2-rc1-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.1 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12344996

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.2?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.2 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.2
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

One minor comment: for 2.4.1 we had a couple JIRAs marked 'release-notes':
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-27198?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20and%20fixVersion%20%20in%20(2.4.1%2C%202.4.2)%20and%20labels%20%3D%20%27release-notes%27

They should be mentioned in
https://spark.apache.org/releases/spark-release-2-4-1.html possibly
like "Changes of behavior" in
https://spark.apache.org/releases/spark-release-2-4-0.html

I can retroactively update that page; is this part of the notes for
the release process though? I missed this one for sure as it's easy to
overlook with all the pages being updated per release.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 9:51 PM Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.2.
>
> The vote is open until April 23 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
> a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.2
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.2-rc1 (commit a44880ba74caab7a987128cb09c4bee41617770a):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.2-rc1

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.2-rc1-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1322/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.2-rc1-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.1 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12344996

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.2?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.2 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.2
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

cloud0fan
Yea these should be mentioned in the 2.4.1 release notes.

It seems we only have one ticket that is labeled as "release-notes" for 2.4.2: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-27419 . I'll mention it when I write release notes.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 5:46 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.2?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.2 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.2
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

Shixiong(Ryan) Zhu
+1 I have tested it and looks good!

Best Regards,

Ryan

https://databricks.com/sparkaisummit/north-america?utm_source=email&utm_medium=signature

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

cloud0fan
adding my own +1

https://databricks.com/sparkaisummit/north-america?utm_source=email&utm_medium=signature

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

cloud0fan
This vote passes! I'll follow up with a formal release announcement soon.

+1:
Michael Armbrust (binding)
Holden Karau (binding)
Marco Gaido
Sean Owen (binding)
Felix Cheung (binding)
vaquar khan
Shixiong(Ryan) Zhu (binding)
Xiao Li (binding)
Wenchen Fan (binding)

+0
shane knapp

https://databricks.com/sparkaisummit/north-america?utm_source=email&utm_medium=signature

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

Daniel Darabos-2
Looks like this is the first release where the pre-built binaries are for Scala 2.12. For people using the pre-built binaries this is a big deal. We cannot upgrade to Spark 2.4.2 without switching to Scala 2.12, which involves upgrading or replacing a whole bunch of dependencies. (Or we could start building our own Spark, but that's a lot of work for the sake of delaying the inevitable.)

I think it would have been better to make this switch on a minor rather than patch version. But this is also fine, it just may be worth highlighting in the release notes.

Thanks,
Daniel

https://databricks.com/sparkaisummit/north-america?utm_source=email&utm_medium=signature

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

Sean Owen-2
The default is 2.12 now, but it's cross-published for 2.11 and 2.12 still: https://search.maven.org/search?q=g:org.apache.spark
You can still build for 2.11 from the source as desired. This was sorta covered in the 2.4.1 release notes, where 2.11 support was deprecated: http://spark.apache.org/releases/spark-release-2-4-1.html
It's going to be removed in 3.0, note.

https://databricks.com/sparkaisummit/north-america?utm_source=email&utm_medium=signature

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

Daniel Darabos-2
Right, the Maven packages are cross-published. But spark-2.4.1-bin-hadoop2.7.tgz was for Scala 2.11 and spark-2.4.2-bin-hadoop2.7.tgz is for Scala 2.12. Since we automatically pull it in our build, it was a bit of a surprise. :)
Anyway, Scala 2.12 is great. Thanks for the upgrade!

https://databricks.com/sparkaisummit/north-america?utm_source=email&utm_medium=signature

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.2

rxin
It does seem like a bad idea to swap Scala version.  Another issue I see is the version pulled in by pip. Is that also changed?