[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

12

[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

DB Tsai-7
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.1.

The vote is open until March 23 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.4.1-rc8 (commit 746b3ddee6f7ad3464e326228ea226f5b1f39a41):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.1-rc8

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.1-rc8-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1318/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.1-rc8-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.1 can be found at the following URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/2.4.1

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.1?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.1 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.1

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

DB Tsai  |  Siri Open Source Technologies [not a contribution]  |   Apple, Inc

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

Darcy Shen-2
-1

please backpoart SPARK-27160, a correctness issue about ORC native reader.

---- On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 06:21:29 +0800 DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote ----

[...]

Sean Owen-2
(Only the PMC can veto a release)
That doesn't look like a regression. I get that it's important, but I
don't see that it should block this release.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 11:00 PM Darcy Shen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -1
>
> please backpoart SPARK-27160, a correctness issue about ORC native reader.
>
> see https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/24092
>

> ---- On Wed, 20 Mar 2019 06:21:29 +0800 DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote ----
>
> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.1.
>
> The vote is open until March 23 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
> a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.1
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.1-rc8 (commit 746b3ddee6f7ad3464e326228ea226f5b1f39a41):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.1-rc8

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.1-rc8-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1318/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.1-rc8-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.1 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/2.4.1

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.1?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.1 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.1
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.
>

> DB Tsai | Siri Open Source Technologies [not a contribution] |  Apple, Inc

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

Stavros Kontopoulos-3
+1  (non-binding)

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 8:33 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.1
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.
>

> DB Tsai | Siri Open Source Technologies [not a contribution] |  Apple, Inc

Stavros Kontopoulos
Senior Software Engineer
Lightbend, Inc.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

dhruve ashar
A deadlock bug was recently fixed and backported to 2.4, but the rc was cut before that. I think we should include a critical bug like that in the current rc.

I am hitting a deadlink while checking: https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/2.4.1
I don't know what the right url looks like, but we should fix it.

-Dhruve Ashar

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

Sean Owen-2
Is it a regression from 2.4.0? that's not the only criteria but part of it.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 10:15 AM dhruve ashar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.1
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.
>

> DB Tsai | Siri Open Source Technologies [not a contribution] |  Apple, Inc

-Dhruve Ashar

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

Imran Rashid-2
Even if only PMC are able to veto a release, I believe all community members are encouraged to vote, even a -1, to express their opinions, right?

I am -0.5 on the release because of SPARK-27112.  It is not a regression, so in that sense I don't think it must hold the release.  But it is fixing a pretty bad deadlock.

that said, I'm only -0.5 because (a) I don't want to keep holding the release indefinitely for "one more fix" and (b) this will probably only hit users running on large clusters -- probably sophisticated enough users to apply their own set of patches.  I'd prefer we cut another rc with the fix, but understand the tradeoffs here.

-Dhruve Ashar

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

dhruve ashar
I agree with Imran on this. Since we are already on rc8, we don't want to indefinitely hold the release for one more fix, but it this one is a severe deadlock.

Note to myself and other community members: May be we can be more proactive in checking and reporting inprogress PR reviews/JIRAs for any blockers as early or as soon as the first RC is cut, so that we don't hold the release process. I believe in this case, the merge commit and RC were in a very close time frame.

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:32 AM Imran Rashid <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.1
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.
>

> DB Tsai | Siri Open Source Technologies [not a contribution] |  Apple, Inc

-Dhruve Ashar

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

DB Tsai-6
Unfortunately, for this 2.4.1 RC cuts, we ran into couple critical bug
fixes unexpectedly just right after each RC was cut, and some of the
bugs were even found after the RC cut which is hard to know there is
still a blocker beforehand.

How about we start to test out the RC8 now given the differences
between RC8 and 2.4.0 are big? If an issue is found to justify to fail
RC8, we can include SPARK-27112 and SPARK-27160 in next cut. Thus,
even we decide to cut another RC, it will be easier to test.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

DB Tsai
Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 9:48 AM dhruve ashar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with Imran on this. Since we are already on rc8, we don't want to indefinitely hold the release for one more fix, but it this one is a severe deadlock.
>
> Note to myself and other community members: May be we can be more proactive in checking and reporting inprogress PR reviews/JIRAs for any blockers as early or as soon as the first RC is cut, so that we don't hold the release process. I believe in this case, the merge commit and RC were in a very close time frame.
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:32 AM Imran Rashid <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Even if only PMC are able to veto a release, I believe all community members are encouraged to vote, even a -1, to express their opinions, right?
>>
>> I am -0.5 on the release because of SPARK-27112.  It is not a regression, so in that sense I don't think it must hold the release.  But it is fixing a pretty bad deadlock.
>>
>> that said, I'm only -0.5 because (a) I don't want to keep holding the release indefinitely for "one more fix" and (b) this will probably only hit users running on large clusters -- probably sophisticated enough users to apply their own set of patches.  I'd prefer we cut another rc with the fix, but understand the tradeoffs here.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 10:17 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it a regression from 2.4.0? that's not the only criteria but part of it.
>>> The version link is https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12344117

> --
> -Dhruve Ashar

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

+1 for this RC. The tag is correct, licenses and sigs check out, tests
of the source with most profiles enabled works for me.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 5:28 PM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.1.
>
> The vote is open until March 23 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
> a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.1
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.1-rc8 (commit 746b3ddee6f7ad3464e326228ea226f5b1f39a41):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.1-rc8

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.1-rc8-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1318/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.1-rc8-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.1 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/2.4.1

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.1?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.1 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.1
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.
>

> DB Tsai  |  Siri Open Source Technologies [not a contribution]  |   Apple, Inc

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

Felix Cheung
Reposting for shane here

[SPARK-27178]
https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/342e91fdfa4e6ce5cc3a0da085d1fe723184021b

Is problematic too and it’s not in the rc8 cut

https://github.com/apache/spark/commits/branch-2.4

(Personally I don’t want to delay 2.4.1 either..)

+1 for this RC. The tag is correct, licenses and sigs check out, tests
of the source with most profiles enabled works for me.

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 5:28 PM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.4.1.
>
> The vote is open until March 23 PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
> a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.4.1
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.4.1-rc8 (commit 746b3ddee6f7ad3464e326228ea226f5b1f39a41):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.4.1-rc8

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.1-rc8-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1318/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.4.1-rc8-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.4.1 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/2.4.1

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.4.1?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.4.1 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK and search for "Target Version/s" = 2.4.1
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.
>

> DB Tsai | Siri Open Source Technologies [not a contribution] |  Apple, Inc

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

DB Tsai-6
Since we have couple concerns and hesitations to release rc8, how
about we give it couple days, and have another vote on March 25,
Monday? In this case, I will cut another rc9 in the Monday morning.

Darcy, as Dongjoon mentioned,
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/24092 is conflict against
branch-2.4, can you make anther PR against branch-2.4 so we can
include the ORC fix in 2.4.1?

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 9:11 PM Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Reposting for shane here
>
> [SPARK-27178]
> https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/342e91fdfa4e6ce5cc3a0da085d1fe723184021b
>
> Is problematic too and it’s not in the rc8 cut
>
> https://github.com/apache/spark/commits/branch-2.4
>
> (Personally I don’t want to delay 2.4.1 either..)
>
> ________________________________

I will fail RC8, and cut another RC9 on Monday to include SPARK-27160,
SPARK-27178, SPARK-27112. Please let me know if there is any critical
PR that has to be back-ported into branch-2.4.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 12:28 AM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since we have couple concerns and hesitations to release rc8, how
> about we give it couple days, and have another vote on March 25,
> Monday? In this case, I will cut another rc9 in the Monday morning.
>
> Darcy, as Dongjoon mentioned,
> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/24092 is conflict against
> branch-2.4, can you make anther PR against branch-2.4 so we can
> include the ORC fix in 2.4.1?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> DB Tsai
> Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
> PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 9:11 PM Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Reposting for shane here
> >
> > [SPARK-27178]
> > https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/342e91fdfa4e6ce5cc3a0da085d1fe723184021b
> >
> > Is problematic too and it’s not in the rc8 cut
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/spark/commits/branch-2.4
> >
> > (Personally I don’t want to delay 2.4.1 either..)
> >
> > ________________________________

Sean Owen-3
I think we can/should get in SPARK-26961 too; it's all but ready to commit.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 2:02 PM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -1
>
> I will fail RC8, and cut another RC9 on Monday to include SPARK-27160,
> SPARK-27178, SPARK-27112. Please let me know if there is any critical
> PR that has to be back-ported into branch-2.4.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> DB Tsai
> Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
> PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1
>
> On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 12:28 AM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Since we have couple concerns and hesitations to release rc8, how
> > about we give it couple days, and have another vote on March 25,
> > Monday? In this case, I will cut another rc9 in the Monday morning.
> >
> > Darcy, as Dongjoon mentioned,
> > https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/24092 is conflict against
> > branch-2.4, can you make anther PR against branch-2.4 so we can
> > include the ORC fix in 2.4.1?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > DB Tsai
> > Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
> > PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 9:11 PM Felix Cheung <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Reposting for shane here
> > >
> > > [SPARK-27178]
> > > https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/342e91fdfa4e6ce5cc3a0da085d1fe723184021b
> > >
> > > Is problematic too and it’s not in the rc8 cut
> > >
> > > https://github.com/apache/spark/commits/branch-2.4
> > >
> > > (Personally I don’t want to delay 2.4.1 either..)
> > >
> > > ________________________________

Hello Sean,

By looking at SPARK-26961 PR, seems it's ready to go. Do you think we
can merge it into 2.4 branch soon?

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 12:04 PM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think we can/should get in SPARK-26961 too; it's all but ready to commit.
>
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 2:02 PM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > -1
> >
> > I will fail RC8, and cut another RC9 on Monday to include SPARK-27160,
> > SPARK-27178, SPARK-27112. Please let me know if there is any critical
> > PR that has to be back-ported into branch-2.4.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > DB Tsai
> > Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
> > PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 12:28 AM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Since we have couple concerns and hesitations to release rc8, how
> > > about we give it couple days, and have another vote on March 25,
> > > Monday? In this case, I will cut another rc9 in the Monday morning.
> > >
> > > Darcy, as Dongjoon mentioned,
> > > https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/24092 is conflict against
> > > branch-2.4, can you make anther PR against branch-2.4 so we can
> > > include the ORC fix in 2.4.1?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > >
> > > DB Tsai
> > > Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
> > > PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1

Still waiting on a successful test - hope this one works.

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019, 10:13 PM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Sean,

By looking at SPARK-26961 PR, seems it's ready to go. Do you think we
can merge it into 2.4 branch soon?

Sincerely,

DB Tsai
Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 12:04 PM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think we can/should get in SPARK-26961 too; it's all but ready to commit.
>
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 2:02 PM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > -1
> >
> > I will fail RC8, and cut another RC9 on Monday to include SPARK-27160,
> > SPARK-27178, SPARK-27112. Please let me know if there is any critical
> > PR that has to be back-ported into branch-2.4.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > DB Tsai
> > Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
> > PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 12:28 AM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Since we have couple concerns and hesitations to release rc8, how
> > > about we give it couple days, and have another vote on March 25,
> > > Monday? In this case, I will cut another rc9 in the Monday morning.
> > >
> > > Darcy, as Dongjoon mentioned,
> > > https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/24092 is conflict against
> > > branch-2.4, can you make anther PR against branch-2.4 so we can
> > > include the ORC fix in 2.4.1?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > >
> > > DB Tsai
> > > Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
> > > PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1

I am going to cut a 2.4.1 rc9 soon tonight. Besides SPARK-26961
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/24126 , anything critical that we
have to wait for 2.4.1 release? Thanks!

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 8:19 PM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Still waiting on a successful test - hope this one works.
>
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019, 10:13 PM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Sean,
>>
>> By looking at SPARK-26961 PR, seems it's ready to go. Do you think we
>> can merge it into 2.4 branch soon?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> DB Tsai
>> Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
>> PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 12:04 PM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I think we can/should get in SPARK-26961 too; it's all but ready to commit.

Don't wait on this, but, I was going to slip in a message in the 2.4.1
docs saying that Scala 2.11 support is deprecated, as it will be gone
in Spark 3. I'll bang that out right now.
Still waiting on a clean test build for that last JIRA, but maybe
about to happen.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 4:06 PM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am going to cut a 2.4.1 rc9 soon tonight. Besides SPARK-26961
> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/24126 , anything critical that we
> have to wait for 2.4.1 release? Thanks!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> DB Tsai
> Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
> PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1
>
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 8:19 PM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Still waiting on a successful test - hope this one works.
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 24, 2019, 10:13 PM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello Sean,
> >>
> >> By looking at SPARK-26961 PR, seems it's ready to go. Do you think we
> >> can merge it into 2.4 branch soon?
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >>
> >> DB Tsai
> >> Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
> >> PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1

This last test failed again, but, I claim we've actually seen it pass:
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/24126#issuecomment-476410462
Would anybody else endorse merging it into 2.4 to proceed? I'll kick
of one more test for good measure.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 4:33 PM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't wait on this, but, I was going to slip in a message in the 2.4.1
> docs saying that Scala 2.11 support is deprecated, as it will be gone
> in Spark 3. I'll bang that out right now.
> Still waiting on a clean test build for that last JIRA, but maybe
> about to happen.
>
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 4:06 PM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I am going to cut a 2.4.1 rc9 soon tonight. Besides SPARK-26961
> > https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/24126 , anything critical that we
> > have to wait for 2.4.1 release? Thanks!
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > DB Tsai

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.4.1 (RC8)

That's all merged now. I think you're clear to start an RC.