[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

Kazuaki Ishizaki
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.3.4.

The vote is open until August 29th 2PM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
a minimum of 3 +1 votes.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see https://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.3.4-rc1 (commit 8c6f8150f3c6298ff4e1c7e06028f12d7eaf0210):
https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.3.4-rc1

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.4-rc1-bin/

Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1331/

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.4-rc1-docs/

The list of bug fixes going into 2.3.4 can be found at the following URL:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12344844

=========================
How can I help test this release?
=========================

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.3.4?

The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.4 can be found at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARKand search for "Target Version/s" = 2.3.4

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
appropriate release.

==================
But my bug isn't fixed?
==================

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

Takeshi Yamamuro
Hi,

Thanks for the release manage!
It seems the staging repository has not been exposed yet?

---
Takeshi Yamamuro

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

Kazuaki Ishizaki
Thank you for pointing out the problem.
The characters and hyperlink point different URLs.

Could you please access https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1331/as you see characters?

Sorry for your inconvenience.
Kazuaki Ishizaki,

From:        Takeshi Yamamuro <[hidden email]>
To:        Kazuaki Ishizaki <[hidden email]>
Cc:        Apache Spark Dev <[hidden email]>
Date:        2019/08/27 08:49
Subject:        Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1328/

[...]

+1 - license and signature looks OK, the docs look OK, the artifacts
seem to be in order. Tests passed for me when building from source
with most common profiles set.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 3:28 PM Kazuaki Ishizaki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.3.4.
>
> The vote is open until August 29th 2PM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
> a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.3.4
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see https://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.3.4-rc1 (commit 8c6f8150f3c6298ff4e1c7e06028f12d7eaf0210):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.3.4-rc1

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.4-rc1-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1331/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.4-rc1-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.3.4 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12344844

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.3.4?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.4 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARKand search for "Target Version/s" = 2.3.4
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
+1.

I also verified SHA/GPG and tested UTs on AdoptOpenJDKu8_222/CentOS6.9 with profile
"-Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Pkubernetes -Pkinesis-asl -Phive -Phive-thriftserver"

Additionally, JDBC IT also is tested.

Thank you, Kazuaki!

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 11:20 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 - license and signature looks OK, the docs look OK, the artifacts
seem to be in order. Tests passed for me when building from source
with most common profiles set.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2019 at 3:28 PM Kazuaki Ishizaki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.3.4.
>
> The vote is open until August 29th 2PM PST and passes if a majority +1 PMC votes are cast, with
> a minimum of 3 +1 votes.
>
> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.3.4
>
> To learn more about Apache Spark, please see https://spark.apache.org/
>
> The tag to be voted on is v2.3.4-rc1 (commit 8c6f8150f3c6298ff4e1c7e06028f12d7eaf0210):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/v2.3.4-rc1

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.4-rc1-bin/
>
> Signatures used for Spark RCs can be found in this file:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/KEYS

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1331/

> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/spark/v2.3.4-rc1-docs/
>
> The list of bug fixes going into 2.3.4 can be found at the following URL:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARK/versions/12344844

> =========================
> How can I help test this release?
> =========================
>
> If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking
> an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
> reporting any regressions.
>
> If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install
> the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala
> you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test
> with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so
> you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

> What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.3.4?
>
> The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.4 can be found at:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARKand search for "Target Version/s" = 2.3.4
>
> Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
> fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
> be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
> appropriate release.
>
> ==================
> But my bug isn't fixed?
> ==================
>
> In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
> release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
> release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
> that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
> help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

DB Tsai-6
+1

Sincerely,

DB Tsai
Web: https://www.dbtsai.com
PGP Key ID: 42E5B25A8F7A82C1

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 11:31 AM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.4 can be found at:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARKand search for "Target Version/s" = 2.3.4
>> >
>> > Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> > fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> > be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> > appropriate release.
>> >
>> > ==================
>> > But my bug isn't fixed?
>> > ==================
>> >
>> > In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> > release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> > release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> > that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
>> > help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

cloud0fan
+1

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 2:43 AM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.4 can be found at:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARKand search for "Target Version/s" = 2.3.4
>> >
>> > Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> > fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> > be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> > appropriate release.
>> >
>> > ==================
>> > But my bug isn't fixed?
>> > ==================
>> >
>> > In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> > release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> > release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> > that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
>> > help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

Marco Gaido
+1

Il giorno mer 28 ago 2019 alle ore 06:31 Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> [...]

>> > The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.4 can be found at:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARKand search for "Target Version/s" = 2.3.4
>> >
>> > Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> > fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> > be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> > appropriate release.
>> >
>> > ==================
>> > But my bug isn't fixed?
>> > ==================
>> >
>> > In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> > release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> > release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> > that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
>> > help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

Shrinidhi Kanchi
+1
Tests are running fine, docs look good. Should be good to go.

Thanks and Regards,
Shrinidhi kanchi
+4915218336840

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019, 10:17 Marco Gaido, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.4 can be found at:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARKand search for "Target Version/s" = 2.3.4
>> >
>> > Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> > fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> > be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> > appropriate release.
>> >
>> > ==================
>> > But my bug isn't fixed?
>> > ==================
>> >
>> > In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> > release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> > release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> > that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to
>> > help target the issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

John Zhuge
+1

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 1:29 AM Shrinidhi Kanchi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > ===========================================
>> >
>> > The current list of open tickets targeted at 2.3.4 can be found at:
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SPARKand search for "Target Version/s" = 2.3.4
>> >
>> > Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug
>> > fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should
>> > be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to an
>> > appropriate release.
>> >
>> > ==================
>> > But my bug isn't fixed?
>> > ==================
>> >
>> > In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the
>> > release unless the bug in question is a regression from the previous
>> > release. That being said, if there is something which is a regression
>> > that has not been correctly targeted please ping me or a committer to

John Zhuge

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

Marcelo Vanzin-2
Just noticed something before I started to run some tests. The output
of "spark-submit --version" is a little weird, in that it's missing
information (see end of e-mail).

Personally I don't think a lot of that output is super useful (like
"Compiled by" or the repo URL), but the branch and revision are.

Could be an artifact of the docker-based build scripts. I don't think
it should block the release, but we should fix that.

$ spark2-submit --version
Welcome to
      ____              __
     / __/__  ___ _____/ /__
    _\ \/ _ \/ _ `/ __/  '_/
   /___/ .__/\_,_/_/ /_/\_\   version 2.3.4
      /_/

Using Scala version 2.11.8, Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM, 1.8.0_111
Branch
Compiled by user  on 2019-08-26T08:09:33Z
Revision
Url
Type --help for more information.

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

Marcelo Vanzin-2
(Ah, and the 2.4 RC has the same issue.)

--
Marcelo

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.3.4 (RC1)

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Ya. It looks like that, but it seems to be a long standing issue. (2.3.3 / 2.4.0 / 2.4.1 / 2.4.2 / 2.4.3 are the same).

$ bin/spark-submit --version
Welcome to
      ____              __
     / __/__  ___ _____/ /__
    _\ \/ _ \/ _ `/ __/  '_/
   /___/ .__/\_,_/_/ /_/\_\   version 2.3.3
      /_/

Using Scala version 2.11.8, OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM, 1.8.0_222
Branch
Compiled by user  on 2019-02-04T13:00:46Z
Revision
Url
Type --help for more information.

$ bin/spark-submit --version
Welcome to
      ____              __
     / __/__  ___ _____/ /__
      /_/

Using Scala version 2.11.12, OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM, 1.8.0_222
Branch
Compiled by user  on 2018-10-29T06:22:05Z

--
Marcelo

--
Marcelo