[VOTE] Apache Spark 2.2.0 (RC5)

Michael Armbrust
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.2.0. The vote is open until Friday, June 23rd, 2017 at 18:00 PST and passes if a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see https://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.2.0-rc5 (62e442e73a2fa663892d2edaff5f7d72d7f402ed)

List of JIRA tickets resolved can be found with this filter.

How can I help test this release?

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then reporting any regressions.

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.2.0?

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to 2.3.0 or 2.2.1.

But my bug isn't fixed!??!

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the release unless the bug in question is a regression from 2.1.1.

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the release unless the bug in question is a regression from 2.1.1.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.2.0 (RC5)

Sean Owen
+1

Sigs/hashes look good. Tests pass on Java 8 / Ubuntu 17 with -Pyarn -Phive -Phadoop-2.7 for me.

The only open issues for 2.2.0 are:

SPARK-21144 Unexpected results when the data schema and partition schema have the duplicate columns
SPARK-18267 Distribute PySpark via Python Package Index (pypi)

The first one was created recently, and isn't marked as terribly important, so should it be untargeted for 2.2? Not sure what the pypi status is so I think that might be un-targetable too.

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 12:49 AM Michael Armbrust <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.2.0. The vote is open until Friday, June 23rd, 2017 at 18:00 PST and passes if a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see https://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.2.0-rc5 (62e442e73a2fa663892d2edaff5f7d72d7f402ed)

List of JIRA tickets resolved can be found with this filter.

How can I help test this release?

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then reporting any regressions.

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.2.0?

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to 2.3.0 or 2.2.1.

But my bug isn't fixed!??!

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the release unless the bug in question is a regression from 2.1.1.

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the release unless the bug in question is a regression from 2.1.1.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.2.0 (RC5)

Imran Rashid-3
-1

I'm sorry for discovering this so late, but I just filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-21165 which I think should be a blocker, its a regression from 2.1

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Nick Pentreath <[hidden email]> wrote:
As before, release looks good, all Scala, Python tests pass. R tests fail with same issue in SPARK-21093 but it's not a blocker.

+1 (binding)

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 at 01:49 Michael Armbrust <[hidden email]> wrote:
I will kick off the voting with a +1.

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Michael Armbrust <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.2.0. The vote is open until Friday, June 23rd, 2017 at 18:00 PST and passes if a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see https://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.2.0-rc5 (62e442e73a2fa663892d2edaff5f7d72d7f402ed)

List of JIRA tickets resolved can be found with this filter.

How can I help test this release?

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then reporting any regressions.

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.2.0?

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to 2.3.0 or 2.2.1.

But my bug isn't fixed!??!

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the release unless the bug in question is a regression from 2.1.1.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.2.0 (RC5)

Liang-Chi Hsieh

Since this vote failed and we will have RC6, is it possibly to include the newly proposed fix to a regression in 2.1 and 2.2: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-19104?

Michael Armbrust wrote
Okay, this vote fails.  Following with RC6 shortly.

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Imran Rashid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -1
>
> I'm sorry for discovering this so late, but I just filed
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-21165 which I think should be
> a blocker, its a regression from 2.1
>
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Nick Pentreath <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> As before, release looks good, all Scala, Python tests pass. R tests fail
>> with same issue in SPARK-21093 but it's not a blocker.
>>
>> +1 (binding)
>>

>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 at 01:49 Michael Armbrust <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I will kick off the voting with a +1.

Liang-Chi Hsieh | @viirya
Spark Technology Center