Timeline for Spark 2.3

Michael Armbrust
According to the timeline posted on the website, we are nearing branch cut for Spark 2.3.  I'd like to propose pushing this out towards mid to late December for a couple of reasons and would like to hear what people think.

1. I've done release management during the Thanksgiving / Christmas time before and in my experience, we don't actually get a lot of testing during this time due to vacations and other commitments. I think beginning the RC process in early January would give us the best coverage in the shortest amount of time.
2. There are several large initiatives in progress that given a little more time would leave us with a much more exciting 2.3 release. Specifically, the work on the history server, Kubernetes and continuous processing.
3. Given the actual release date of Spark 2.2, I think we'll still get Spark 2.3 out roughly 6 months after.

Thoughts?

Michael

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Justin Miller
That sounds fine to me. I’m hoping that this ticket can make it into Spark 2.3: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18016

It’s causing some pretty considerable problems when we alter the columns to be nullable, but we are OK for now without that.

Best,
Justin

Michael

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Matei Zaharia
Administrator
I’m also +1 on extending this to get Kubernetes and other features in.

Matei

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 4:04 PM, Anirudh Ramanathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This would help the community on the Kubernetes effort quite a bit - giving us additional time for reviews and testing for the 2.3 release.
>
> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Justin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That sounds fine to me. I’m hoping that this ticket can make it into Spark 2.3: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18016
>
> It’s causing some pretty considerable problems when we alter the columns to be nullable, but we are OK for now without that.
>
> Best,
> Justin
>
>> On Nov 9, 2017, at 4:54 PM, Michael Armbrust <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> According to the timeline posted on the website, we are nearing branch cut for Spark 2.3.  I'd like to propose pushing this out towards mid to late December for a couple of reasons and would like to hear what people think.
>>
>> 1. I've done release management during the Thanksgiving / Christmas time before and in my experience, we don't actually get a lot of testing during this time due to vacations and other commitments. I think beginning the RC process in early January would give us the best coverage in the shortest amount of time.
>> 2. There are several large initiatives in progress that given a little more time would leave us with a much more exciting 2.3 release. Specifically, the work on the history server, Kubernetes and continuous processing.
>> 3. Given the actual release date of Spark 2.2, I think we'll still get Spark 2.3 out roughly 6 months after.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Michael

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Erik Erlandson-2
+1 on extending the deadline. It will significantly improve the logistics for upstreaming the Kubernetes back-end.  Also agreed, on the general realities of reduced bandwidth over the Nov-Dec holiday season.
Erik

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Matei Zaharia <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m also +1 on extending this to get Kubernetes and other features in.

Matei

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 4:04 PM, Anirudh Ramanathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This would help the community on the Kubernetes effort quite a bit - giving us additional time for reviews and testing for the 2.3 release.
>
> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Justin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That sounds fine to me. I’m hoping that this ticket can make it into Spark 2.3: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18016
>
> It’s causing some pretty considerable problems when we alter the columns to be nullable, but we are OK for now without that.
>
> Best,
> Justin
>
>> On Nov 9, 2017, at 4:54 PM, Michael Armbrust <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> According to the timeline posted on the website, we are nearing branch cut for Spark 2.3.  I'd like to propose pushing this out towards mid to late December for a couple of reasons and would like to hear what people think.
>>
>> 1. I've done release management during the Thanksgiving / Christmas time before and in my experience, we don't actually get a lot of testing during this time due to vacations and other commitments. I think beginning the RC process in early January would give us the best coverage in the shortest amount of time.
>> 2. There are several large initiatives in progress that given a little more time would leave us with a much more exciting 2.3 release. Specifically, the work on the history server, Kubernetes and continuous processing.
>> 3. Given the actual release date of Spark 2.2, I think we'll still get Spark 2.3 out roughly 6 months after.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Michael

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Nick Pentreath
+1 I think that’s practical

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 at 03:13, Erik Erlandson <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 on extending the deadline. It will significantly improve the logistics for upstreaming the Kubernetes back-end.  Also agreed, on the general realities of reduced bandwidth over the Nov-Dec holiday season.
Erik

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Matei Zaharia <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m also +1 on extending this to get Kubernetes and other features in.

Matei

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 4:04 PM, Anirudh Ramanathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This would help the community on the Kubernetes effort quite a bit - giving us additional time for reviews and testing for the 2.3 release.
>
> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Justin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That sounds fine to me. I’m hoping that this ticket can make it into Spark 2.3: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18016
>
> It’s causing some pretty considerable problems when we alter the columns to be nullable, but we are OK for now without that.
>
> Best,
> Justin
>
>> On Nov 9, 2017, at 4:54 PM, Michael Armbrust <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> According to the timeline posted on the website, we are nearing branch cut for Spark 2.3.  I'd like to propose pushing this out towards mid to late December for a couple of reasons and would like to hear what people think.
>>
>> 1. I've done release management during the Thanksgiving / Christmas time before and in my experience, we don't actually get a lot of testing during this time due to vacations and other commitments. I think beginning the RC process in early January would give us the best coverage in the shortest amount of time.
>> 2. There are several large initiatives in progress that given a little more time would leave us with a much more exciting 2.3 release. Specifically, the work on the history server, Kubernetes and continuous processing.
>> 3. Given the actual release date of Spark 2.2, I think we'll still get Spark 2.3 out roughly 6 months after.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Michael

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Marco Gaido
I would love too to have SPARK-18016. I think it would help a lot of users.

+1 I think that’s practical

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 at 03:13, Erik Erlandson <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 on extending the deadline. It will significantly improve the logistics for upstreaming the Kubernetes back-end.  Also agreed, on the general realities of reduced bandwidth over the Nov-Dec holiday season.
Erik

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Matei Zaharia <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m also +1 on extending this to get Kubernetes and other features in.

Matei

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 4:04 PM, Anirudh Ramanathan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This would help the community on the Kubernetes effort quite a bit - giving us additional time for reviews and testing for the 2.3 release.
>
> On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 3:56 PM, Justin Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That sounds fine to me. I’m hoping that this ticket can make it into Spark 2.3: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18016
>
> It’s causing some pretty considerable problems when we alter the columns to be nullable, but we are OK for now without that.
>
> Best,
> Justin
>
>> On Nov 9, 2017, at 4:54 PM, Michael Armbrust <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> According to the timeline posted on the website, we are nearing branch cut for Spark 2.3.  I'd like to propose pushing this out towards mid to late December for a couple of reasons and would like to hear what people think.
>>
>> 1. I've done release management during the Thanksgiving / Christmas time before and in my experience, we don't actually get a lot of testing during this time due to vacations and other commitments. I think beginning the RC process in early January would give us the best coverage in the shortest amount of time.
>> 2. There are several large initiatives in progress that given a little more time would leave us with a much more exciting 2.3 release. Specifically, the work on the history server, Kubernetes and continuous processing.
>> 3. Given the actual release date of Spark 2.2, I think we'll still get Spark 2.3 out roughly 6 months after.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Michael

Michael

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Sameer Agarwal
Sounds good to me too. In addition to what has already been pointed out about the Spark History Server and the Kubernetes support, this would also give us enough time to further polish the new data source v2 API and the vectorized UDF API to iron out any kinks.

I'd like to volunteer to serve as the release manager for Spark 2.3. In terms of bandwidth, I will be available during this holiday season as I have no vacation planed during the Dec-Jan timeframe. And I'm fairly familiar with most of the major efforts targeted for the 2.3 release.

Thanks,
Sameer

Sameer Agarwal
Software Engineer | Databricks Inc.

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Dong Jiang
Hi,

What is the process to request an issue/fix to be included in the next
release? Is there a place to vote for features?
I am interested in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-13127, to see
if we can get Spark upgrade parquet to 1.9.0, which addresses the
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PARQUET-686.
Can we include the fix in Spark 2.3 release?

Thanks,

Dong

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Erik Erlandson-2
I wanted to check in on the state of the 2.3 freeze schedule.  Original proposal was "late Dec", which is a bit open to interpretation.

We are working to get some refactoring done on the integration testing for the Kubernetes back-end in preparation for testing upcoming release candidates, however holiday vacation time is about to begin taking its toll both on upstream reviewing and on the "downstream" spark-on-kube fork.

If the freeze pushed into January, that would take some of the pressure off the kube back-end upstreaming. However, regardless, I was wondering if the dates could be clarified.
Cheers,
Erik

Sameer Agarwal
Software Engineer | Databricks Inc.

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Michael Armbrust
Do people really need to be around for the branch cut (modulo the person cutting the branch)?

1st or 2nd doesn't really matter to me, but I am +1 kicking this off as soon as we enter the new year :)

Michael

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Holden Karau <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Felix Cheung
+1
I think the earlier we cut a branch the better.

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Kazuaki Ishizaki
+1 for cutting a branch earlier.
In some Asian countries, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd January are off. https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/
How about 4th or 5th?

Regards,
Kazuaki Ishizaki

From:        Felix Cheung <[hidden email]>
To:        Michael Armbrust <[hidden email]>, Holden Karau <[hidden email]>
Cc:        Sameer Agarwal <[hidden email]>, Erik Erlandson <[hidden email]>, dev <[hidden email]>
Date:        2017/12/21 04:48

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 5:13 PM, djiang@...<djiang@...> wrote:
Hi,

What is the process to request an issue/fix to be included in the next
release? Is there a place to vote for features?
I am interested in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-13127, to see
if we can get Spark upgrade parquet to 1.9.0, which addresses the

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PARQUET-686.
Can we include the fix in Spark 2.3 release?

Thanks,

Dong

--
Sent from:
http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/

Sameer Agarwal
Software Engineer | Databricks Inc.
http://cs.berkeley.edu/~sameerag

Re: Timeline for Spark 2.3

Sameer Agarwal
Thanks everyone! I'll then go ahead and cut the branch early next week. This will give us enough time to set up all the necessary jenkins builders before the voting starts. We can then start the formal release process a week after (8th January) once everybody gets back from vacation.

Regards,
Sameer

From:        Felix Cheung <[hidden email]>
To:        Michael Armbrust <[hidden email]>, Holden Karau <[hidden email]>