Test and support only LTS JDK release?

DB Tsai-5
Given Oracle's new 6-month release model, I feel the only realistic option is to only test and support JDK such as JDK 11 LTS and future LTS release. I would like to have a discussion on this in Spark community.

Thanks,

DB Tsai  |  Siri Open Source Technologies [not a contribution]  |   Apple, Inc

Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

rxin
What does OpenJDK do and other non-Oracle VMs? I know there was a lot of discussions from Redhat etc to support.

On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 11:24 AM DB Tsai <[hidden email]> wrote:
Given Oracle's new 6-month release model, I feel the only realistic option is to only test and support JDK such as JDK 11 LTS and future LTS release. I would like to have a discussion on this in Spark community.

Thanks,

DB Tsai  |  Siri Open Source Technologies [not a contribution]  |   Apple, Inc

Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

Marcelo Vanzin-2
+1, that's always been my view.

Although, to be fair, and as Sean mentioned, the jump from jdk8 is
probably the harder part. After that it's less likely (hopefully?)
that we'll run into issues in non-LTS releases. And even if we don't
officially support them, trying to keep up with breaking changes might
make it easier to support the following LTS.

(Just as an example, both jdk9 and jdk10 are already EOL.)

--
Marcelo

Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

Robert Stupp

+1 on supporting LTS releases.

VM distributors (RedHat, Azul - to name two) want to provide patches to LTS versions (i.e. into http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk-updates/jdk11u/). How that will play out in reality ... I don't know. Whether Oracle will contribute to that repo for 8 after it's EOL and 11 after the 6 month cycle ... we will see. Most Linux distributions promised(?) long-term support for Java 11 in their LTS releases (e.g. Ubuntu 18.04). I am not sure what that exactly means ... whether they will actively provide patches to OpenJDK or whether they just build from source.

But considering that, I think it's definitely worth to at least keep an eye on Java 12 and 13 - even if those are just EA. Java 12 for example does already forbid some "dirty tricks" that are still possible in Java 11.

Robert Stupp
@snazy

Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

Felix Cheung
Is there a list of LTS release that I can reference?

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/eol-135779.html

--
Marcelo

Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

Kazuaki Ishizaki
This entry includes a good figure for support lifecycle.
https://www.azul.com/products/zulu-and-zulu-enterprise/zulu-enterprise-java-support-options/

Kazuaki Ishizaki,

From:        Marcelo Vanzin <[hidden email]>
To:        Felix Cheung <[hidden email]>
Cc:        Ryan Blue <[hidden email]>, [hidden email], dev <[hidden email]>, Cesar Delgado <[hidden email]>
Date:        2018/11/07 08:29

--
Marcelo

Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

Stavros Kontopoulos-3

Stavros

From:        Marcelo Vanzin <[hidden email]>
To:        Felix Cheung <[hidden email]>
Cc:        Ryan Blue <[hidden email]>, [hidden email], dev <[hidden email]>, Cesar Delgado <[hidden email]>
Date:        2018/11/07 08:29

--
Marcelo

Re: Test and support only LTS JDK release?

Tom Graves-2
+1 seems reasonable at this point.

Tom