Terminology: "worker" vs "slave"

Andrew Ash
The terms worker and slave seem to be used interchangeably.  Are they the
same?

Worker is used more frequently in the codebase:

aash@aash-mbp ~/git/spark$ git grep -i worker | wc -l
     981
aash@aash-mbp ~/git/spark$ git grep -i slave | wc -l
     348
aash@aash-mbp ~/git/spark$

Does it make sense to unify on one or the other?

Re: Terminology: "worker" vs "slave"

rxin
It is historic.

I think we are converging towards

worker: the "slave" daemon in the standalone cluster manager

executor: the jvm process that is launched by the worker that executes tasks

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Andrew Ash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The terms worker and slave seem to be used interchangeably.  Are they the
> same?
>
> Worker is used more frequently in the codebase:
>
> aash@aash-mbp ~/git/spark$ git grep -i worker | wc -l
>      981
> aash@aash-mbp ~/git/spark$ git grep -i slave | wc -l
>      348
> aash@aash-mbp ~/git/spark$
>
> Does it make sense to unify on one or the other?

Re: Terminology: "worker" vs "slave"

Patrick Wendell
Ya we've been trying to standardize on the terminology here (see glossary):

http://spark.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/cluster-overview.html

I think "slave" actually isn't mentioned here at all - but references
to slave in the codebase are synonymous with "worker".

- Patrick

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM, Reynold Xin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is historic.
>
> I think we are converging towards
>
> worker: the "slave" daemon in the standalone cluster manager
>
> executor: the jvm process that is launched by the worker that executes tasks
>

> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Andrew Ash <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The terms worker and slave seem to be used interchangeably.  Are they the
>> same?
>>
>> Worker is used more frequently in the codebase:
>>
>> aash@aash-mbp ~/git/spark$ git grep -i worker | wc -l
>>      981
>> aash@aash-mbp ~/git/spark$ git grep -i slave | wc -l
>>      348
>> aash@aash-mbp ~/git/spark$
>>
>> Does it make sense to unify on one or the other?

Re: Terminology: "worker" vs "slave"

Andrew Ash
That matches my mental model -- glad to hear we're converging on one though
for consistency.

Thanks guys!

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 1:45 AM, Patrick Wendell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ya we've been trying to standardize on the terminology here (see glossary):
>
> http://spark.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/cluster-overview.html
>
> I think "slave" actually isn't mentioned here at all - but references
> to slave in the codebase are synonymous with "worker".
>
> - Patrick
>
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM, Reynold Xin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It is historic.
> >
> > I think we are converging towards
> >
> > worker: the "slave" daemon in the standalone cluster manager
> >
> > executor: the jvm process that is launched by the worker that executes
> tasks
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 10:39 PM, Andrew Ash <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> The terms worker and slave seem to be used interchangeably.  Are they
> the
> >> same?
> >>
> >> Worker is used more frequently in the codebase:
> >>
> >> aash@aash-mbp ~/git/spark$ git grep -i worker | wc -l
> >>      981
> >> aash@aash-mbp ~/git/spark$ git grep -i slave | wc -l
> >>      348
> >> aash@aash-mbp ~/git/spark$
> >>
> >> Does it make sense to unify on one or the other?

Re: Terminology: "worker" vs "slave"

Henry Saputra
+1 for worker =)