Signal/Noise Ratio

12

Signal/Noise Ratio

Heiko Braun

Wouldn't it be better to move the github messages to a dedicated email list?

Regards, Heiko

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Pascal Voitot Dev
+1

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Wouldn't it be better to move the github messages to a dedicated email
> list?
>
> Regards, Heiko

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Surendranauth Hiraman
github or specifically jenkins?

I find the actual github comments threads very useful.

-Suren

--

SUREN HIRAMAN, VP TECHNOLOGY
Velos

440 NINTH AVENUE, 11TH FLOOR
NEW YORK, NY 10001
O: (917) 525-2466 ext. 105
F: 646.349.4063
E: suren.hiraman@v <[hidden email]>elos.io
W: www.velos.io

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Heiko Braun
AFAIKT both end up in the PR messages that are send to the dev list.

On 18 Feb 2014, at 17:51, Surendranauth Hiraman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> github or specifically jenkins?
>
> I find the actual github comments threads very useful.
>
> -Suren
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM, Pascal Voitot Dev <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>>

>>> Wouldn't it be better to move the github messages to a dedicated email
>>> list?
>>>
>>> Regards, Heiko
>>>

> --
>
> SUREN HIRAMAN, VP TECHNOLOGY
> Velos
> Simple. Powerful. Predictions.
>
> 440 NINTH AVENUE, 11TH FLOOR
> NEW YORK, NY 10001
> O: (917) 525-2466 ext. 105
> F: 646.349.4063
> E: suren.hiraman@v <[hidden email]>elos.io
> W: www.velos.io

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Michael Ernest
+1

--
Michael Ernest
Sr. Solutions Consultant
West Coast

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Gerard Maas
+1 please.

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Michael Ernest <[hidden email]>wrote:

> +1
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>

> > Wouldn't it be better to move the github messages to a dedicated email
> > list?
> >
> > Regards, Heiko
> >

> --
> Michael Ernest
> Sr. Solutions Consultant
> West Coast

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Aaron Davidson
This is due, unfortunately, to Apache policies that all development-related
discussion should take place on the dev list. As we are attempting to
graduate from an incubating project to an Apache top level project, there
were some concerns raised about GitHub, and the fastest solution to avoid
conflict related to our graduation was to CC dev@ for all GitHub messages.
Once our graduation is complete, we may be able to find a less noisy way of
dealing with these messages.

In the meantime, one simple solution is to filter out all messages that
come from [hidden email] and are destined to
[hidden email].

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Gerard Maas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 please.
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Michael Ernest <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > +1
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]
> > >wrote:
> >

> > > Wouldn't it be better to move the github messages to a dedicated email
> > > list?
> > >
> > > Regards, Heiko
> > >

> > --
> > Michael Ernest
> > Sr. Solutions Consultant
> > West Coast

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Matei Zaharia
Administrator
Yup, because these are development discussions, they need to be archived, even though some users may not view them this way (but rather subscribe using GitHub). Apache wants to make sure that all work on its projects is done “in the open” and is accessible in a central place. Just filter them out if you’d like (in Gmail, select a message and click “filter messages like this”).

Matei

On Feb 18, 2014, at 12:20 PM, Aaron Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is due, unfortunately, to Apache policies that all development-related
> discussion should take place on the dev list. As we are attempting to
> graduate from an incubating project to an Apache top level project, there
> were some concerns raised about GitHub, and the fastest solution to avoid
> conflict related to our graduation was to CC dev@ for all GitHub messages.
> Once our graduation is complete, we may be able to find a less noisy way of
> dealing with these messages.
>
> In the meantime, one simple solution is to filter out all messages that
> come from [hidden email] and are destined to
> [hidden email].
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Gerard Maas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1 please.
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Michael Ernest <[hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>>

>>> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]

>>> --
>>> Michael Ernest
>>> Sr. Solutions Consultant
>>> West Coast

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Pascal Voitot Dev
so -1 = 0 for me :D
I can understand and I'll use filter ;)

thks
Pascal

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:46 PM, Matei Zaharia <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Yup, because these are development discussions, they need to be archived,
> even though some users may not view them this way (but rather subscribe
> using GitHub). Apache wants to make sure that all work on its projects is
> done "in the open" and is accessible in a central place. Just filter them
> out if you'd like (in Gmail, select a message and click "filter messages
> like this").
>
> Matei
>
> On Feb 18, 2014, at 12:20 PM, Aaron Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This is due, unfortunately, to Apache policies that all
> development-related
> > discussion should take place on the dev list. As we are attempting to
> > graduate from an incubating project to an Apache top level project, there
> > were some concerns raised about GitHub, and the fastest solution to avoid
> > conflict related to our graduation was to CC dev@ for all GitHub
> messages.
> > Once our graduation is complete, we may be able to find a less noisy way
> of
> > dealing with these messages.
> >
> > In the meantime, one simple solution is to filter out all messages that
> > come from [hidden email] and are destined to
> > [hidden email].
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Gerard Maas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> +1 please.
> >>

> >> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Michael Ernest <[hidden email]

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

andy petrella
Come on guyz, we could be a bit more creative right?

What about setting some streaming jobs to categorize the noisy ones (a
quick and dirty bayesian and whoooz), intercept them, add some Gmail's
spams characteristics that will make them skipping our mailbox
automatically.
A small batch job on the other for a bit of training and ...

... There ! Fixed it

Andy

PS: it was of course a joke

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM, Pascal Voitot Dev <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> so -1 = 0 for me :D
> I can understand and I'll use filter ;)
>
> thks
> Pascal
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:46 PM, Matei Zaharia <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Yup, because these are development discussions, they need to be archived,
> > even though some users may not view them this way (but rather subscribe
> > using GitHub). Apache wants to make sure that all work on its projects is
> > done "in the open" and is accessible in a central place. Just filter them
> > out if you'd like (in Gmail, select a message and click "filter messages
> > like this").
> >
> > Matei
> >
> > On Feb 18, 2014, at 12:20 PM, Aaron Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > This is due, unfortunately, to Apache policies that all
> > development-related
> > > discussion should take place on the dev list. As we are attempting to
> > > graduate from an incubating project to an Apache top level project,
> there
> > > were some concerns raised about GitHub, and the fastest solution to
> avoid
> > > conflict related to our graduation was to CC dev@ for all GitHub
> > messages.
> > > Once our graduation is complete, we may be able to find a less noisy
> way
> > of
> > > dealing with these messages.
> > >
> > > In the meantime, one simple solution is to filter out all messages that
> > > come from [hidden email] and are destined to
> > > [hidden email].

> [hidden email]

> [hidden email]

> email

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Ethan Jewett
Is there anything stopping us from using a different list, segregated from
the dev list? The Github emails significantly reduce the signal-noise ratio
of this list, and while it is possible (but annoying) to filter them out in
our individual inboxes, it makes the archives of the list much less usable
in many ways.

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Aaron Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is due, unfortunately, to Apache policies that all development-related
> discussion should take place on the dev list. As we are attempting to
> graduate from an incubating project to an Apache top level project, there
> were some concerns raised about GitHub, and the fastest solution to avoid
> conflict related to our graduation was to CC dev@ for all GitHub messages.
> Once our graduation is complete, we may be able to find a less noisy way of
> dealing with these messages.
>
> In the meantime, one simple solution is to filter out all messages that
> come from [hidden email] and are destined to
> [hidden email].
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Gerard Maas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1 please.
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Michael Ernest <[hidden email]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > +1
> > >

> > > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]

> email

> > > --
> > > Michael Ernest
> > > Sr. Solutions Consultant
> > > West Coast

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

andy
Administrator
That is a very valid point about the list archives (which a mail filter
doesn't address and which impacts the community in a negative way).

As of today we are a Top Level Project so I think we have a little more
autonomy for this sort of dev vs separate list decision.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Ethan Jewett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there anything stopping us from using a different list, segregated from
> the dev list? The Github emails significantly reduce the signal-noise ratio
> of this list, and while it is possible (but annoying) to filter them out in
> our individual inboxes, it makes the archives of the list much less usable
> in many ways.
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Aaron Davidson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > This is due, unfortunately, to Apache policies that all
> development-related
> > discussion should take place on the dev list. As we are attempting to
> > graduate from an incubating project to an Apache top level project, there
> > were some concerns raised about GitHub, and the fastest solution to avoid
> > conflict related to our graduation was to CC dev@ for all GitHub
> messages.
> > Once our graduation is complete, we may be able to find a less noisy way
> of
> > dealing with these messages.
> >
> > In the meantime, one simple solution is to filter out all messages that
> > come from [hidden email] and are destined to
> > [hidden email].
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Gerard Maas <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > +1 please.
> > >

> > > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Michael Ernest <[hidden email]

> [hidden email]

> > email

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Mattmann, Chris A (3980)
Guys,

Whether you are a TLP or not the big key here is making sure that
dev discussion does not happen elsewhere outside of the list. You
can create e.g., a [hidden email] list, but you will need
to make sure that:

a) if dev discussion is happening there that it gets flowed up to
[hidden email]. All development discussion must appear on the dev
list and must be traceable as a project discussion and decisions
appear on the list(s).

b) automated/etc. email is simply that, and there isn't a ton of
discussion going on on those github emails, and that it's mostly
going on on the [hidden email] list.

If you can meet those 2 criteria/litmus test, I think it's fine.
The big concern is that if the discussion is not happening elsewhere,
then the decisions make for Apache Spark are based on information
that isn't co-located with the Apache Spark project. So that's the
thing that the PMC needs to keep in mind (note I said PMC now, yay!) :)

Cheers and just keep the above in mind and you'll be good.

Cheers,
Chris

>That is a very valid point about the list archives (which a mail filter
>doesn't address and which impacts the community in a negative way).
>
>As of today we are a Top Level Project so I think we have a little more
>autonomy for this sort of dev vs separate list decision.
>

>On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Ethan Jewett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is there anything stopping us from using a different list, segregated
>>from
>> the dev list? The Github emails significantly reduce the signal-noise
>>ratio
>> of this list, and while it is possible (but annoying) to filter them
>>out in
>> our individual inboxes, it makes the archives of the list much less
>>usable
>> in many ways.
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Aaron Davidson <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > This is due, unfortunately, to Apache policies that all
>> development-related
>> > discussion should take place on the dev list. As we are attempting to
>> > graduate from an incubating project to an Apache top level project,
>>there
>> > were some concerns raised about GitHub, and the fastest solution to
>>avoid
>> > conflict related to our graduation was to CC dev@ for all GitHub
>> messages.
>> > Once our graduation is complete, we may be able to find a less noisy
>>way
>> of
>> > dealing with these messages.
>> >
>> > In the meantime, one simple solution is to filter out all messages
>>that
>> > come from [hidden email] and are destined to
>> > [hidden email].

>><[hidden email]

>> [hidden email]

>> > email

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Andrew Ash
I'm fine with keeping the GitHub traffic if we can

a) take away the Jenkins build started / build finished / build succeeded /
build failed messages.  Those aren't "dev discussion" and are very noisy.
 I don't think they help anyone, and people who care about those for a
particular PR (because they're a reviewer or author on it) are already
subscribed through GitHub.
b) change the format of the emails that are sent out; I find them very
poorly formatted.  I'd prefer no deep tab for the message.

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-spark-dev/201402.mbox/%3C20140210192901.CE834922554@...%3E

FWIW I'm filtering all emails from [hidden email] straight to trash
right now because of the noise.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Whether you are a TLP or not the big key here is making sure that
> dev discussion does not happen elsewhere outside of the list. You
> can create e.g., a [hidden email] list, but you will need
> to make sure that:
>
> a) if dev discussion is happening there that it gets flowed up to
> [hidden email]. All development discussion must appear on the dev
> list and must be traceable as a project discussion and decisions
> appear on the list(s).
>
> b) automated/etc. email is simply that, and there isn't a ton of
> discussion going on on those github emails, and that it's mostly
> going on on the [hidden email] list.
>
> If you can meet those 2 criteria/litmus test, I think it's fine.
> The big concern is that if the discussion is not happening elsewhere,
> then the decisions make for Apache Spark are based on information
> that isn't co-located with the Apache Spark project. So that's the
> thing that the PMC needs to keep in mind (note I said PMC now, yay!) :)
>
> Cheers and just keep the above in mind and you'll be good.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Ethan Jewett
That would be fine. I would just like the problem fixed. The list has gone
from being a consistently pretty interesting and content-heavy read to
being a trudge to go through and attempt to extract the relevant
information from every day.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Andrew Ash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm fine with keeping the GitHub traffic if we can
>
> a) take away the Jenkins build started / build finished / build succeeded /
> build failed messages.  Those aren't "dev discussion" and are very noisy.
>  I don't think they help anyone, and people who care about those for a
> particular PR (because they're a reviewer or author on it) are already
> subscribed through GitHub.
> b) change the format of the emails that are sent out; I find them very
> poorly formatted.  I'd prefer no deep tab for the message.
>

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-spark-dev/201402.mbox/%3C20140210192901.CE834922554@...%3E
>
> FWIW I'm filtering all emails from [hidden email] straight to trash
> right now because of the noise.
>

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Guys,
> >
> > Whether you are a TLP or not the big key here is making sure that
> > dev discussion does not happen elsewhere outside of the list. You
> > can create e.g., a [hidden email] list, but you will need
> > to make sure that:
> >
> > a) if dev discussion is happening there that it gets flowed up to
> > [hidden email]. All development discussion must appear on the dev
> > list and must be traceable as a project discussion and decisions
> > appear on the list(s).
> >
> > b) automated/etc. email is simply that, and there isn't a ton of
> > discussion going on on those github emails, and that it's mostly
> > going on on the [hidden email] list.
> >
> > If you can meet those 2 criteria/litmus test, I think it's fine.
> > The big concern is that if the discussion is not happening elsewhere,
> > then the decisions make for Apache Spark are based on information
> > that isn't co-located with the Apache Spark project. So that's the
> > thing that the PMC needs to keep in mind (note I said PMC now, yay!) :)
> >
> > Cheers and just keep the above in mind and you'll be good.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Chris

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Patrick Wendell
I'd personally like to see this go to a separate list.

Until then I'd strongly recommended using filters to get rid of them.
In gmail it's trivial...

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Ethan Jewett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That would be fine. I would just like the problem fixed. The list has gone
> from being a consistently pretty interesting and content-heavy read to
> being a trudge to go through and attempt to extract the relevant
> information from every day.
>

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Andrew Ash <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm fine with keeping the GitHub traffic if we can
>>
>> a) take away the Jenkins build started / build finished / build succeeded /
>> build failed messages.  Those aren't "dev discussion" and are very noisy.
>>  I don't think they help anyone, and people who care about those for a
>> particular PR (because they're a reviewer or author on it) are already
>> subscribed through GitHub.
>> b) change the format of the emails that are sent out; I find them very
>> poorly formatted.  I'd prefer no deep tab for the message.
>>

>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-spark-dev/201402.mbox/%3C20140210192901.CE834922554@...%3E
>>
>> FWIW I'm filtering all emails from [hidden email] straight to trash
>> right now because of the noise.
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Guys,
>> >
>> > Whether you are a TLP or not the big key here is making sure that
>> > dev discussion does not happen elsewhere outside of the list. You
>> > can create e.g., a [hidden email] list, but you will need
>> > to make sure that:
>> >
>> > a) if dev discussion is happening there that it gets flowed up to
>> > [hidden email]. All development discussion must appear on the dev
>> > list and must be traceable as a project discussion and decisions
>> > appear on the list(s).
>> >
>> > b) automated/etc. email is simply that, and there isn't a ton of
>> > discussion going on on those github emails, and that it's mostly
>> > going on on the [hidden email] list.
>> >
>> > If you can meet those 2 criteria/litmus test, I think it's fine.
>> > The big concern is that if the discussion is not happening elsewhere,
>> > then the decisions make for Apache Spark are based on information
>> > that isn't co-located with the Apache Spark project. So that's the
>> > thing that the PMC needs to keep in mind (note I said PMC now, yay!) :)
>> >
>> > Cheers and just keep the above in mind and you'll be good.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Chris

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Xiangrui Meng
+1 If someone replies a github thread via spark-dev, it won't show up
on github and it gets filtered by most people. -Xiangrui

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Patrick Wendell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd personally like to see this go to a separate list.
>
> Until then I'd strongly recommended using filters to get rid of them.
> In gmail it's trivial...
>
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:07 PM, Ethan Jewett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That would be fine. I would just like the problem fixed. The list has gone
>> from being a consistently pretty interesting and content-heavy read to
>> being a trudge to go through and attempt to extract the relevant
>> information from every day.
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Andrew Ash <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm fine with keeping the GitHub traffic if we can
>>>
>>> a) take away the Jenkins build started / build finished / build succeeded /
>>> build failed messages.  Those aren't "dev discussion" and are very noisy.
>>>  I don't think they help anyone, and people who care about those for a
>>> particular PR (because they're a reviewer or author on it) are already
>>> subscribed through GitHub.
>>> b) change the format of the emails that are sent out; I find them very
>>> poorly formatted.  I'd prefer no deep tab for the message.
>>>

>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-spark-dev/201402.mbox/%3C20140210192901.CE834922554@...%3E
>>>
>>> FWIW I'm filtering all emails from [hidden email] straight to trash
>>> right now because of the noise.

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Henry Saputra
Daniel Gruno from ASF infra mentioned this when adding Github plugin
to dev@ list support :
"We may, in the future, add the possibility to filter out certain
comments from being relayed to the ML (such as jenkins workflows etc),
but this will all depend on how this initial phase goes along."

Looks like for Apache Spark we need ability to filter comments from Jenkins.

So if we could "filter" the Jenkins comment fro being sent to dev@
list would this help reduce the noise?

- Henry

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Andrew Ash <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm fine with keeping the GitHub traffic if we can
>
> a) take away the Jenkins build started / build finished / build succeeded /
> build failed messages.  Those aren't "dev discussion" and are very noisy.
>  I don't think they help anyone, and people who care about those for a
> particular PR (because they're a reviewer or author on it) are already
> subscribed through GitHub.
> b) change the format of the emails that are sent out; I find them very
> poorly formatted.  I'd prefer no deep tab for the message.
>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-spark-dev/201402.mbox/%3C20140210192901.CE834922554@...%3E
>
> FWIW I'm filtering all emails from [hidden email] straight to trash
> right now because of the noise.
>

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> Whether you are a TLP or not the big key here is making sure that
>> dev discussion does not happen elsewhere outside of the list. You
>> can create e.g., a [hidden email] list, but you will need
>> to make sure that:
>>
>> a) if dev discussion is happening there that it gets flowed up to
>> [hidden email]. All development discussion must appear on the dev
>> list and must be traceable as a project discussion and decisions
>> appear on the list(s).
>>
>> b) automated/etc. email is simply that, and there isn't a ton of
>> discussion going on on those github emails, and that it's mostly
>> going on on the [hidden email] list.
>>
>> If you can meet those 2 criteria/litmus test, I think it's fine.
>> The big concern is that if the discussion is not happening elsewhere,
>> then the decisions make for Apache Spark are based on information
>> that isn't co-located with the Apache Spark project. So that's the
>> thing that the PMC needs to keep in mind (note I said PMC now, yay!) :)
>>
>> Cheers and just keep the above in mind and you'll be good.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Ethan Jewett
It would help but wouldn't solve the formatting problem or the one-way
communication problem.

On Thursday, February 20, 2014, Henry Saputra <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Daniel Gruno from ASF infra mentioned this when adding Github plugin
> to dev@ list support :
> "We may, in the future, add the possibility to filter out certain
> comments from being relayed to the ML (such as jenkins workflows etc),
> but this will all depend on how this initial phase goes along."
>
> Looks like for Apache Spark we need ability to filter comments from
> Jenkins.
>
> So if we could "filter" the Jenkins comment fro being sent to dev@
> list would this help reduce the noise?
>
> - Henry
>
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Andrew Ash <[hidden email]<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
> > I'm fine with keeping the GitHub traffic if we can
> >
> > a) take away the Jenkins build started / build finished / build
> succeeded /
> > build failed messages.  Those aren't "dev discussion" and are very noisy.
> >  I don't think they help anyone, and people who care about those for a
> > particular PR (because they're a reviewer or author on it) are already
> > subscribed through GitHub.
> > b) change the format of the emails that are sent out; I find them very
> > poorly formatted.  I'd prefer no deep tab for the message.
> >

> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-spark-dev/201402.mbox/%3C20140210192901.CE834922554@...%3E
> >
> > FWIW I'm filtering all emails from [hidden email] straight to trash
> > right now because of the noise.
> >

> > On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Guys,
> >>
> >> Whether you are a TLP or not the big key here is making sure that
> >> dev discussion does not happen elsewhere outside of the list. You
> >> can create e.g., a [hidden email] list, but you will need
> >> to make sure that:
> >>
> >> a) if dev discussion is happening there that it gets flowed up to
> >> [hidden email]. All development discussion must appear on the dev
> >> list and must be traceable as a project discussion and decisions
> >> appear on the list(s).
> >>
> >> b) automated/etc. email is simply that, and there isn't a ton of
> >> discussion going on on those github emails, and that it's mostly
> >> going on on the [hidden email] list.
> >>
> >> If you can meet those 2 criteria/litmus test, I think it's fine.
> >> The big concern is that if the discussion is not happening elsewhere,
> >> then the decisions make for Apache Spark are based on information
> >> that isn't co-located with the Apache Spark project. So that's the
> >> thing that the PMC needs to keep in mind (note I said PMC now, yay!) :)
> >>
> >> Cheers and just keep the above in mind and you'll be good.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Chris

Re: Signal/Noise Ratio

Ethan Jewett
Hi Aaron,

Off-list message here. Can you point me to this policy? Due to some
previous experiences here, I'm under the impression that it doesn't exist.
I can't find it on the Apache website.

Thanks,
Ethan

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014, Aaron Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is due, unfortunately, to Apache policies that all development-related
> discussion should take place on the dev list. As we are attempting to
> graduate from an incubating project to an Apache top level project, there
> were some concerns raised about GitHub, and the fastest solution to avoid
> conflict related to our graduation was to CC dev@ for all GitHub messages.
> Once our graduation is complete, we may be able to find a less noisy way of
> dealing with these messages.
>
> In the meantime, one simple solution is to filter out all messages that
> come from [hidden email] <javascript:;> and are destined to
> [hidden email] <javascript:;>.
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Gerard Maas <[hidden email]<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > +1 please.
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Michael Ernest <[hidden email]<javascript:;>
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > +1
> > >

> > > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Heiko Braun <[hidden email]<javascript:;>

> email

> > > --
> > > Michael Ernest
> > > Sr. Solutions Consultant