Re: [DISCUSS] Removing or changing maintainer process

Re: [DISCUSS] Removing or changing maintainer process

nsalian
+1 (non- binding) to remove maintainers.
As a new contributor to the project, since the norm is focusing on 1 area, it becomes difficult to adjust to a singular component.
Reasons for that may be - level of activity in that component, maintenance vs feature driven..etc.

Thanks for bringing this up, Matei.

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Matei Zaharia [via Apache Spark Developers List] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks,

Around 1.5 years ago, Spark added a maintainer process for reviewing API and architectural changes (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SPARK/Committers#Committers-ReviewProcessandMaintainers) to make sure these are seen by people who spent a lot of time on that component. At the time, the worry was that changes might go unnoticed as the project grows, but there were also concerns that this approach makes the project harder to contribute to and less welcoming. Since implementing the model, I think that a good number of developers concluded it doesn't make a huge difference, so because of these concerns, it may be useful to remove it. I've also heard that we should try to keep some other instructions for contributors to find the "right" reviewers, so it would be great to see suggestions on that. For my part, I'd personally prefer something "automatic", such as easily tracking who reviewed each patch and having people look at the commit history of the module they want to work on, instead of a list that needs to be maintained separately.

Matei

http://apache-spark-developers-list.1001551.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Removing-or-changing-maintainer-process-tp17534.html
To start a new topic under Apache Spark Developers List, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Apache Spark Developers List, click here.
NAML

--
Neelesh Srinivas Salian
Customer Operations Engineer