Process for backports?

Cody Koeninger-2

is asking to backport a change to the 2.3 branch.

My questions

- In general are there any concerns about what qualifies for backporting?
This adds a configuration variable but shouldn't change default behavior.

- Is a separate jira + pr actually necessary?
Seems like the merge_spark_pr.py script is set up to handle cherry
picking the original merged PR in a case like this.

Re: Process for backports?

rxin

1. We don't backport features.

2. In general we don't bump dependencies, unless they are for critical bug fixes.

3. We weight the risk of new regression vs bug fixes. To state the obvious, we wouldn't backport a bug fix if it only affects a very small number of use cases but require very complex changes. There is huge gray zone in between here that'd rely on committer's judgement.

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 3:56 PM, Cody Koeninger <[hidden email]> wrote:

is asking to backport a change to the 2.3 branch.

My questions

- In general are there any concerns about what qualifies for backporting?
This adds a configuration variable but shouldn't change default behavior.

- Is a separate jira + pr actually necessary?
Seems like the merge_spark_pr.py script is set up to handle cherry
picking the original merged PR in a case like this.

Re: Process for backports?

venkat_20
Can you please elaborate why don't backport of features is not allowed?

Re: Process for backports?

Sean Owen-2
This is pretty much standard semantic versioning: https://semver.org/
Maintenance branch releases are for bug fixes; minor releases have new features.
Of course at some level it all depends on judgment, too.