Quantcast

PR permission to kick Jenkins?

Tom Graves-2
Does  anyone know how to configure Jenkins to allow committers to tell it to test prs?  I used to have this access but lately it is either not working or only intermittently working.

The commands like "ok to test", "test this please", etc..

Thanks,
Tom

Re: PR permission to kick Jenkins?

rxin
I suspect the list is getting too big for Jenkins to function well. It stopped working for me a while ago.

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Tom Graves <[hidden email]> wrote:
Does  anyone know how to configure Jenkins to allow committers to tell it to test prs?  I used to have this access but lately it is either not working or only intermittently working.

The commands like "ok to test", "test this please", etc..

Thanks,
Tom

Re: PR permission to kick Jenkins?

shane knapp
tom:  i checked and your username is still on the list.

anyways, it's a pretty big list...  i pulled a couple of names out of
it (including mine -- i can add myself back if needed), but i'd be
down to have someone (rxin, maybe?) audit the list and pare it down.

also, after checking out the code for the ghprb plugin, it reads in
and passes the adminlist around as a string(!?), but there are only
322 characters total in the entire admin list...  while using a string
seems a bit strange, at this small size (322 chars) i can't see what
might be causing these things to drop.

and finally, and unsurprisingly, there's nothing in the logs that
point to anything like this happening at all (admin/whitelist failures
or hitting the github rate limit).

i'll poke around and see if i can get a better idea of what's happening.

shane

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Reynold Xin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I suspect the list is getting too big for Jenkins to function well. It
> stopped working for me a while ago.
>

> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Tom Graves <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Does  anyone know how to configure Jenkins to allow committers to tell it
>> to test prs?  I used to have this access but lately it is either not working
>> or only intermittently working.
>>
>> The commands like "ok to test", "test this please", etc..
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tom

Re: PR permission to kick Jenkins?

shane knapp
also, do we have any recent PRs where i can see this happening?  it
will make my log-diving a bit easier.

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM, shane knapp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> tom:  i checked and your username is still on the list.
>
> anyways, it's a pretty big list...  i pulled a couple of names out of
> it (including mine -- i can add myself back if needed), but i'd be
> down to have someone (rxin, maybe?) audit the list and pare it down.
>
> also, after checking out the code for the ghprb plugin, it reads in
> and passes the adminlist around as a string(!?), but there are only
> 322 characters total in the entire admin list...  while using a string
> seems a bit strange, at this small size (322 chars) i can't see what
> might be causing these things to drop.
>
> and finally, and unsurprisingly, there's nothing in the logs that
> point to anything like this happening at all (admin/whitelist failures
> or hitting the github rate limit).
>
> i'll poke around and see if i can get a better idea of what's happening.
>
> shane
>

> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Reynold Xin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I suspect the list is getting too big for Jenkins to function well. It
>> stopped working for me a while ago.
>>

>> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:06 PM, Tom Graves <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does  anyone know how to configure Jenkins to allow committers to tell it
>>> to test prs?  I used to have this access but lately it is either not working
>>> or only intermittently working.
>>>
>>> The commands like "ok to test", "test this please", etc..
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tom

Re: PR permission to kick Jenkins?

Marcelo Vanzin
I noticed it on this one (before I said "ok to test"):
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/17658

My requests went through, Tom's seemed to be ignored.

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 1:06 PM, shane knapp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> also, do we have any recent PRs where i can see this happening?  it
> will make my log-diving a bit easier.
>
> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM, shane knapp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> tom:  i checked and your username is still on the list.
>>
>> anyways, it's a pretty big list...  i pulled a couple of names out of
>> it (including mine -- i can add myself back if needed), but i'd be
>> down to have someone (rxin, maybe?) audit the list and pare it down.
>>
>> also, after checking out the code for the ghprb plugin, it reads in
>> and passes the adminlist around as a string(!?), but there are only
>> 322 characters total in the entire admin list...  while using a string
>> seems a bit strange, at this small size (322 chars) i can't see what
>> might be causing these things to drop.
>>
>> and finally, and unsurprisingly, there's nothing in the logs that
>> point to anything like this happening at all (admin/whitelist failures
>> or hitting the github rate limit).
>>
>> i'll poke around and see if i can get a better idea of what's happening.
>>
>> shane
>>

>> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Reynold Xin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I suspect the list is getting too big for Jenkins to function well. It
>>> stopped working for me a while ago.

Marcelo

Re: PR permission to kick Jenkins?

shane knapp
ok cool, thanks.  i'll check the jenkins logs from then and see if i
can find anything.  no promises.  :\

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Marcelo Vanzin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noticed it on this one (before I said "ok to test"):
> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/17658
>
> My requests went through, Tom's seemed to be ignored.
>

> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 1:06 PM, shane knapp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> also, do we have any recent PRs where i can see this happening?  it
>> will make my log-diving a bit easier.
>>
>> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM, shane knapp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> tom:  i checked and your username is still on the list.
>>>
>>> anyways, it's a pretty big list...  i pulled a couple of names out of
>>> it (including mine -- i can add myself back if needed), but i'd be
>>> down to have someone (rxin, maybe?) audit the list and pare it down.
>>>
>>> also, after checking out the code for the ghprb plugin, it reads in
>>> and passes the adminlist around as a string(!?), but there are only
>>> 322 characters total in the entire admin list...  while using a string
>>> seems a bit strange, at this small size (322 chars) i can't see what
>>> might be causing these things to drop.
>>>
>>> and finally, and unsurprisingly, there's nothing in the logs that
>>> point to anything like this happening at all (admin/whitelist failures
>>> or hitting the github rate limit).
>>>
>>> i'll poke around and see if i can get a better idea of what's happening.
>>>
>>> shane

> Marcelo

Re: PR permission to kick Jenkins?

shane knapp
alright.  this kinda sucks.

after looking at that PR, i found a bunch of comments by tom and
marcelo on the morning of may 2nd.  i grepped for that PR# in the
jenkins logs and found things that made me REALLY SAD (as well as
making me ask myself how this even works to begin with):

INFO: Pull request #17,658 was updated on apache/spark at 5/2/17 7:38
AM by User:redsanket
INFO: Pull request #17,658 was updated on apache/spark at 5/2/17 8:08
AM by User:redsanket
INFO: Pull request #17,658 was updated on apache/spark at 5/2/17 9:13
AM by User:redsanket

these three comments were actually authored by tgravescs and vanzin...
including the 9:13am one which triggered the build.

so, the logs are useless, and at this point i really don't know if
there's anything that can be done short of upgrading everything...

...which badly needs to happen, but the "upgrade jenkins" project i've
been sitting on all spring is still blocked by a bug here @ UC
Berkeley.  some of the GIDs of the students that will be accessing the
new systems are low (<200), and have GID collisions w/things like
"libvirtd" and other potentially dangerous systems.  that is getting
fixed really soon, which will let me get back on track w/rolling out
jenkins 2.0+ and a much more modern, and hopefully less flaky ghprb
plugin.

wish i had better news.  :\

shane

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 1:14 PM, shane knapp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ok cool, thanks.  i'll check the jenkins logs from then and see if i
> can find anything.  no promises.  :\
>
> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 1:10 PM, Marcelo Vanzin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I noticed it on this one (before I said "ok to test"):
>> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/17658
>>
>> My requests went through, Tom's seemed to be ignored.
>>

>> On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 1:06 PM, shane knapp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> also, do we have any recent PRs where i can see this happening?  it
>>> will make my log-diving a bit easier.

>> --
>> Marcelo

Re: PR permission to kick Jenkins?