Quantcast

Java 9

Pete Robbins
Is anyone working on support for running Spark on Java 9? Is this in a roadmap anywhere?

Cheers,

Re: Java 9

Sean Owen
I don't think anyone's tried it. I think we'd first have to agree to drop Java 7 support before that could be seriously considered. The 8-9 difference is a bit more of a breaking change.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 11:44 AM Pete Robbins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is anyone working on support for running Spark on Java 9? Is this in a roadmap anywhere?

Cheers,

Re: Java 9

Pete Robbins
Yes, I agree but it may be worthwhile starting to look at this. I was just trying a build and it trips over some of the now defunct/inaccessible sun.misc classes.

I was just interested in hearing if anyone has already gone through this to save me duplicating effort.

Cheers,

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 at 11:46 Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't think anyone's tried it. I think we'd first have to agree to drop Java 7 support before that could be seriously considered. The 8-9 difference is a bit more of a breaking change.

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 11:44 AM Pete Robbins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is anyone working on support for running Spark on Java 9? Is this in a roadmap anywhere?

Cheers,
tsh

Re: Java 9

tsh
If I'm not wrong, they got fid of   sun.misc.Unsafe   in Java 9.

This class is till used by several libraries & frameworks.

Cheers,

Re: Java 9

Felix Yang

Excuse me,

   more detail of JDK 9 can be found here .

http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk9/

The changes mentioned below were tracked in http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/260

If you want something digested, technical sessions in recent JavaOne would be quite helpful.

There is a Quality Outreach program. Welcome to join and feedback.

Quality Outreach: https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/quality/Quality+Outreach

Thanks,
Felix
On 2017/2/8 13:09, kant kodali wrote:
[...]

rxin
tl;dr:

The critical internal APIs proposed to remain accessible in JDK 9 are:

sun.misc.{Signal,SignalHandler}

sun.misc.Unsafe (The functionality of many of the methods in this class is now available via variable handles (JEP 193).)

sun.reflect.Reflection::getCallerClass(int) (The functionality of this method may be provided in a standard form via JEP 259.)

sun.reflect.ReflectionFactory.newConstructorForSerialization

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Felix Yang <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Rory O'Donnell

Let me fill you in on the Quality Outreach.

I send out email every 2-3 weeks depending on contents of the builds, example attached.
I try to highlight significant changes in the builds, allowing you to decide if you might want
to test with a particular build. We don't expect you to test every build, it's entirely up to you.

If you would like us to list your project(s) on the Quality Outreach wiki [1] , can you provide a
contact name , mailing list , the current status of you testing against JDK 8 &  JDK 9, and a
CI if possible  ?

Rgds, Rory

[1] https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/quality/Quality+Outreach

--
Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager

JDK 9 Early Access  b151  is available on java.net

There have been a number of fixes to bugs reported by Open Source projects since the last availability email  :
  • JDK-8171377 : Add sun.misc.Unsafe::invokeCleaner
  • JDK-8075793 : Source incompatibility for inference using -source 7
  • JDK-8087303  : LSSerializer pretty print does not work anymore
  • JDK-8167143 :CLDR timezone parsing does not work for all locales

Other changes that maybe of interest:

  • JDK-8066474 : Remove the lib/$ARCH directory from Linux and Solaris images
  • JDK-8170428 : Move src.zip to JDK/lib/src.zip

JEPs intergrated:

  •  JEP 295: Ahead-of-Time Compilation has been integrated in b150.
Schedule - Milestones since last availability email
  • Feature Extension Complete 22nd of December 2016
  • Rampdown Started 5th of January 2017
    • Phases in which increasing levels of scrutiny are applied to incoming changes.
    • In phase 1, only P1-P3 bugs can be fixed. In phase 2 only showstopper bugs can be fixed.

Rgds,Rory