Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2017 is coming

Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2017 is coming

Jacek Laskowski
Hi,

Is this something Spark considering? Would be nice to mark issues as
GSoC in JIRA and solicit feedback. What do you think?

Pozdrawiam,
Jacek Laskowski
----
https://medium.com/@jaceklaskowski/
Mastering Apache Spark 2.0 https://bit.ly/mastering-apache-spark

Cell : 425-233-8271

Re: Google Summer of Code 2017 is coming

Sean Owen
I have a contrarian opinion on GSoC from experience many years ago in Mahout. Of 3 students I interacted with, 2 didn't come close to completing the work they signed up for. I think it's mostly that students are hungry for the resumé line item, and don't understand the amount of work they're proposing, and ultimately have little incentive to complete their proposal. The stipend is small.

I can appreciate the goal of GSoC but it makes more sense for projects that don't get as much attention, and Spark gets plenty. I would not expect students to be able to be net contributors to a project like Spark. The time they consume in hand-holding will exceed the time it would take for someone experienced to just do the work. I would caution anyone from agreeing to this for Spark unless they are willing to devote 5-10 hours per week for the summer to helping someone learn.

My net experience with GSoC is negative, mostly on account of the participants.

Cell : 425-233-8271

Re: Google Summer of Code 2017 is coming

Jacek Laskowski
Thanks Sean. You've again been very helpful to put the right tone to
the matters. I stand corrected and have no interest in GSoC anymore.

Pozdrawiam,
Jacek Laskowski
----

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a contrarian opinion on GSoC from experience many years ago in
> Mahout. Of 3 students I interacted with, 2 didn't come close to completing
> the work they signed up for. I think it's mostly that students are hungry
> for the resumé line item, and don't understand the amount of work they're
> proposing, and ultimately have little incentive to complete their proposal.
> The stipend is small.
>
> I can appreciate the goal of GSoC but it makes more sense for projects that
> don't get as much attention, and Spark gets plenty. I would not expect
> students to be able to be net contributors to a project like Spark. The time
> they consume in hand-holding will exceed the time it would take for someone
> experienced to just do the work. I would caution anyone from agreeing to
> this for Spark unless they are willing to devote 5-10 hours per week for the
> summer to helping someone learn.
>
> My net experience with GSoC is negative, mostly on account of the
> participants.
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:56 PM Holden Karau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> As someone who did GSoC back in University I think this could be a good
>> idea if there is enough interest from the PMC & I'd be willing the help
>> mentor if that is a bottleneck.
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 12:42 PM, Jacek Laskowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is this something Spark considering? Would be nice to mark issues as
>>> GSoC in JIRA and solicit feedback. What do you think?
>>>
>>> Pozdrawiam,
>>> Jacek Laskowski
>>> ----
>>> https://medium.com/@jaceklaskowski/
>>> Mastering Apache Spark 2.0 https://bit.ly/mastering-apache-spark
>>> Follow me at https://twitter.com/jaceklaskowski

Nick Pentreath
I think Sean raises valid points - that the result is highly dependent on the particular student, project and mentor involved, and that the actual required time investment is very significant.

Having said that, it's not all bad certainly. Scikit-learn started as a GSoC project 10 years ago!

Actually they have a pretty good model for accepting students - typically the student must demonstrate significant prior knowledge and ability with the project sufficient to complete the work.

The challenge I think Spark has is already folks are strapped for capacity so finding mentors with time will be tricky. But if there are mentors and the right project / student fit can be found, I think it's a good idea.