[DISCUSSION] Avoiding duplicate work

younggyu Chun
Hi All,

I would like to suggest to use "Assignee" functionality in the JIRA when we are working on a project. When we pick a ticket to work on we don't know who is doing that right now.

Recently I spent my time to solve an issue and made a merge request but this was actually a duplicate work. The ticket I was working on doesn't have any clues that somebody was working.

are there ways to avoid duplicate work that I don't know yet?

Thank you,
Younggyu

Younggyu

Younggyu

Re: [DISCUSSION] Avoiding duplicate work

Sean Owen-2
We've avoided using Assignee because it implies that someone 'owns'
resolving the issue, when we want to keep it collaborative, and many
times in the past someone would ask to be assigned and then didn't
follow through.

You can comment on the JIRA to say "I'm working on this" but that has
the same problem. Frequently people see that and don't work on it, and
then the original person doesn't follow through either.

The best practice is probably to write down your analysis of the
problem and solution so far in a comment. That helps everyone and
doesn't suggest others shouldn't work on it; we want them to, we want
them to work together. That also shows some commitment to working on
it.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 9:11 AM younggyu Chun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> what if both are looking at code and they don't make a merge request? I guess we can't still see what's going on because that Jira ticket won't show the linked PR.
>
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 09:58, Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The JIRA ticket will show the linked PR if there are any, which indicates that someone is working on it if the PR is active. Maybe the bot should also leave a comment on the JIRA ticket to make it clearer?
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 10:54 PM younggyu Chun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I would like to suggest to use "Assignee" functionality in the JIRA when we are working on a project. When we pick a ticket to work on we don't know who is doing that right now.
>>>
>>> Recently I spent my time to solve an issue and made a merge request but this was actually a duplicate work. The ticket I was working on doesn't have any clues that somebody was working.
>>>
>>> are there ways to avoid duplicate work that I don't know yet?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Younggyu

Re: [DISCUSSION] Avoiding duplicate work

Nicholas Chammas
+1 to what Sean said.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 10:14 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
We've avoided using Assignee because it implies that someone 'owns'
resolving the issue, when we want to keep it collaborative, and many
times in the past someone would ask to be assigned and then didn't
follow through.

You can comment on the JIRA to say "I'm working on this" but that has
the same problem. Frequently people see that and don't work on it, and
then the original person doesn't follow through either.

The best practice is probably to write down your analysis of the
problem and solution so far in a comment. That helps everyone and
doesn't suggest others shouldn't work on it; we want them to, we want
them to work together. That also shows some commitment to working on
it.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 9:11 AM younggyu Chun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> what if both are looking at code and they don't make a merge request? I guess we can't still see what's going on because that Jira ticket won't show the linked PR.
>
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 09:58, Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The JIRA ticket will show the linked PR if there are any, which indicates that someone is working on it if the PR is active. Maybe the bot should also leave a comment on the JIRA ticket to make it clearer?
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 10:54 PM younggyu Chun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I would like to suggest to use "Assignee" functionality in the JIRA when we are working on a project. When we pick a ticket to work on we don't know who is doing that right now.
>>>
>>> Recently I spent my time to solve an issue and made a merge request but this was actually a duplicate work. The ticket I was working on doesn't have any clues that somebody was working.
>>>
>>> are there ways to avoid duplicate work that I don't know yet?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Younggyu

Re: [DISCUSSION] Avoiding duplicate work

Takeshi Yamamuro
Yea, +1 to the Sean suggestion.
When we see a comment "I'm working on this" on the jira comment,
I think we need to say "Are you still working on this?" to avoid duplicate work there.

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 2:20 AM Nicholas Chammas <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 to what Sean said.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 10:14 AM Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
We've avoided using Assignee because it implies that someone 'owns'
resolving the issue, when we want to keep it collaborative, and many
times in the past someone would ask to be assigned and then didn't
follow through.

You can comment on the JIRA to say "I'm working on this" but that has
the same problem. Frequently people see that and don't work on it, and
then the original person doesn't follow through either.

The best practice is probably to write down your analysis of the
problem and solution so far in a comment. That helps everyone and
doesn't suggest others shouldn't work on it; we want them to, we want
them to work together. That also shows some commitment to working on
it.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 9:11 AM younggyu Chun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> what if both are looking at code and they don't make a merge request? I guess we can't still see what's going on because that Jira ticket won't show the linked PR.
>
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 09:58, Wenchen Fan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The JIRA ticket will show the linked PR if there are any, which indicates that someone is working on it if the PR is active. Maybe the bot should also leave a comment on the JIRA ticket to make it clearer?
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 10:54 PM younggyu Chun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I would like to suggest to use "Assignee" functionality in the JIRA when we are working on a project. When we pick a ticket to work on we don't know who is doing that right now.
>>>
>>> Recently I spent my time to solve an issue and made a merge request but this was actually a duplicate work. The ticket I was working on doesn't have any clues that somebody was working.
>>>
>>> are there ways to avoid duplicate work that I don't know yet?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Younggyu

---
Takeshi Yamamuro