Apache Spark 3.0 timeline

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Hi, All.

I saw the following comment from Wenchen in the previous email thread.

> Personally I'd like to avoid cutting branch-3.0 right now, otherwise we need to merge PRs into two branches in the following several months.

Since 3.0.0-preview seems to be already here for RC, can we update our timeline in the official web page accordingly.

-----

Spark 2.4 Release Window

Date Event
Mid Aug 2018 Code freeze. Release branch cut.
Late Aug 2018 QA period. Focus on bug fixes, tests, stability and docs. Generally, no new features merged.
Early Sep 2018 Release candidates (RC), voting, etc. until final release passes

Re: Apache Spark 3.0 timeline

Sean Owen-2
I think the branch question is orthogonal but yeah we can probably make an updated statement about 3.0 release. Clearly a preview is imminent. I figure we are probably moving to code freeze late in the year, release early next year? Any better ideas about estimates to publish? They aren't binding.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019, 4:01 PM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, All.

I saw the following comment from Wenchen in the previous email thread.

> Personally I'd like to avoid cutting branch-3.0 right now, otherwise we need to merge PRs into two branches in the following several months.

Since 3.0.0-preview seems to be already here for RC, can we update our timeline in the official web page accordingly.

-----

Spark 2.4 Release Window

Date Event
Mid Aug 2018 Code freeze. Release branch cut.
Late Aug 2018 QA period. Focus on bug fixes, tests, stability and docs. Generally, no new features merged.
Early Sep 2018 Release candidates (RC), voting, etc. until final release passes

Re: Apache Spark 3.0 timeline

Dongjoon Hyun-2
Thanks! That sounds reasonable. I'm +1. :)

Historically, 2.0-preview was on May 2016 and 2.0 was on July, 2016. 3.0 seems to be different.

Bests,
Dongjoon

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 16:38 Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the branch question is orthogonal but yeah we can probably make an updated statement about 3.0 release. Clearly a preview is imminent. I figure we are probably moving to code freeze late in the year, release early next year? Any better ideas about estimates to publish? They aren't binding.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019, 4:01 PM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, All.

I saw the following comment from Wenchen in the previous email thread.

> Personally I'd like to avoid cutting branch-3.0 right now, otherwise we need to merge PRs into two branches in the following several months.

Since 3.0.0-preview seems to be already here for RC, can we update our timeline in the official web page accordingly.

-----

Spark 2.4 Release Window

Date Event
Mid Aug 2018 Code freeze. Release branch cut.
Late Aug 2018 QA period. Focus on bug fixes, tests, stability and docs. Generally, no new features merged.
Early Sep 2018 Release candidates (RC), voting, etc. until final release passes

Re: Apache Spark 3.0 timeline

cloud0fan
>  I figure we are probably moving to code freeze late in the year, release early next year?

Sounds good!

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 7:51 AM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks! That sounds reasonable. I'm +1. :)

Historically, 2.0-preview was on May 2016 and 2.0 was on July, 2016. 3.0 seems to be different.

Bests,
Dongjoon

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 16:38 Sean Owen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think the branch question is orthogonal but yeah we can probably make an updated statement about 3.0 release. Clearly a preview is imminent. I figure we are probably moving to code freeze late in the year, release early next year? Any better ideas about estimates to publish? They aren't binding.

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019, 4:01 PM Dongjoon Hyun <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, All.

I saw the following comment from Wenchen in the previous email thread.

> Personally I'd like to avoid cutting branch-3.0 right now, otherwise we need to merge PRs into two branches in the following several months.

Since 3.0.0-preview seems to be already here for RC, can we update our timeline in the official web page accordingly.

-----

Spark 2.4 Release Window

Date Event