A survey about IP clearance of Spark in UC Berkeley for donating to Apache

hxd

A survey about IP clearance of Spark in UC Berkeley for donating to Apache

hxd
Hi,

As we know, Spark is one of the most famous projects for distributed computing. It is donated by UC Berkeley to ASF initially, and currently a lot of developers in the world are making contribution to the project.

Because Apache 2.0 License requires licensing related patents to ASF if needed, I want to make a survey about “how universities deal with the IP clearance when donating to Apache”. We believe that it is helpful to let more universities understand the process, and join in Apache more  smoothly in the future.

Therefore,  I want to know does UC Berkeley have related patents before the university contributed source codes to Apache?  If there is, then how the university dealt with them? And what documents the university provided to Apache, just SGA?

Thanks very much!

Best,
Xiangdong